Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ice_it_06

12V battery charge

5 posts in this topic

Can I charge my "deep cycle" in my house off the trucks battery by jumpers ?

One is a new Interstate (truck) and the other a new Interstate (deep cycle). Different group sizes but I'm not sure if they are compatible in reference to charging.

** thought a charge off the alternator with a quick jumper line with terminals on each end would be a better and far more convenient charge then @ home on a 110 charger **

You can, but it's not ideal. How will you know when they're fully recharged?

In the long run it may cost you more in gas and wear and tear on the truck than the work to take them home for a charge.

My assumption was the trucks battery will be always charged, and the deep cycle has a digital volt meter on it which gives me a good indication of it's charge.

Would be more or less a top off charge and not constantly a full recharge.

The deep cycle comes home daily and kept in a cool closet.

Just trying to avoid constant charging @ home seeing the house or truck has no on board charge system for the fish house.

Had a stay-n-charge on my retractable and was a sweet set up. Never touched a battery or any charging related hassles.

Your truck battery should remain charged in normal operation, but to charge another battery from it will not result in the second battery getting a full charge, IMO.

The charged truck battery will revert to it's normal state of charge or something slightly less very quickly (~12.6V) when a load is applied (and engine not running), but the normal charging voltage for a battery to attain full charge is often in the 13-15V range.

I would only charge it off the truck when running and a couple minutes after truck battery was full charged.

Generally in a eight to ten hour period on the lake I will start up the truck twice and let it run 10-15 minutes which is when I would charge the house battery.

Probably won't need to charge it but every third day the way it looks.

I put (16) hours on the battery of constant run time with my LX-3, (4) pc fans constant, and (7)hours of a double dome light and the battery was still over 70% tonite when I brought it home to recharge.