Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Team Otter

Ultra-Shallow 'Eyes...

14 posts in this topic

Is it June? blush.gif

I tagged along with Gary (FM - Muddog) today for a walleye outing that I will soon not forget. We had talked over the last few days about an area walleye bite taking shape in heavy cover in 3 - 4' of water. Yes, 3 - 4' of water. Today, the stars aligned and we got together to go put the screws to 'em. Folks, if I could have been in a boat throwing cranks to the same structure, I would have been in the same heaven I was in. The program was to drill holes until you found an open pocket in heavy cover and then set-up and wait for the sun to set. Well, Gary and I found the ultimate; an opening in the cover that included a transition area from mud to rock hard sand. OK, did I say we were set up in 3'? smirk.gif AWESOME! When the sun hit the trees, "the chomp" was on. Many times either Gary or myself was saying "FISH ON" and sometimes we cut each other off. grin.gif I actually watched a couple of 17" fish pull in my Northland Forage Minnow and fathead and slowly drag the bobber down under the light of my LED head lamp. It was one of the most incredible bites I have ever been a part of. The fish were ~1.5' down over 3' of water. Suspended bite? grin.gif We caught fish on Northland Buckshot Spoons and minnow heads and dead-sticks with whole minnows; it was abut 50 - 50.

Fish were both kept and released. I look for this bite to only get better. The problem is I don't know when I'll be able to get back to it. Perhaps we could divert The Otter Run about 3:00 pm? grin.gif Just kidding...

17"er right under the ice...POW!

shallow005ws2.jpg

Perfect way to end 2007! grin.gif

shallow003tj6.jpg

The walleye fishing down here right now is some of the best I've seen, especially through the ice. Get out and enjoy it! I'm taking the day "off" tomorrow in order to prepare for going back to work on Wednesday. grin.gif

Any openings? I would like to tag along sometime. Have a wedding this weekend so I won't be able to make the Otter run.

Beautiful!!!! cool.gif

Thanks. This particular bite; you'd have to see it to believe it, literally. grin.gif

Those are the best bites, thing is, everyone believes you Otter, me, not so much!! grin.gif

Outstanding post.You are on a mission to make us all shallow water fishermen.Cant beat catching nice eating size wallys.Great way to end 2007.

When all else fails, go shallow. How much fun was that, T.O. bet you didn't have people driving up 10 ft away, right???

Good company, Good fishing, Good time. grin.gif

Everybody has a purpose on Earth. grin.gif

Ken, we missed you. It is a bite to experience. And, yes, no disruptive traffic. It was just Gary, myself and some darn hungry fish. grin.gif

Amen Gary. Thanks again.

I already have a seat reserved in my boat for you. smirk.gif

good report team otter.

Thanks slimer. Welcome to FM!