Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
summit090706

Chesterwood Report 12/31/07

21 posts in this topic

Hello all, hit chesterwoods today. Was out for about 2 hours and had non stop action. Kept enough for a meal. All were really nice fish. When I left I started to get some crappies and the two that I landed where in the 10 inch range nice fish. Well hope everyone has a fun and safe new years.

Are you willing to give some details? Time? Water depth? Location? I have a 10 yr old little girl that would like to go out ice fishing. We would be completely CPR.

Thanks

Scott

Sure, I was on the right hand side before you get to where it opens up. I was in 28 feet of water and there were fish all the way from 28 to 20 feet. I found that the bigger fish were at about 20 feet. All I used was wax worms and a small jig. Red with some gold worked the best. It seemed like they wanted a bit of movement right way and then really slow jig after that. Hope that helps. Good luck smile.gif

It's nice to hear this report, I have been anxiously waiting for the bite to turn on out there. Were you fishing am or pm?

Great post. Thanks for the info. Too bad the little girl is sick or we would be out there. Maybe this weekend I can get her out.

Can a person take wheelers or sleds on the ice out there?

I would say no.

due to poor ice or park rules?

I would believe park rules. There is an electric motor only for boats. I'm not sure of the exact wording but I would guess no gas motors on the lake.

Whats the best place to access the ice there, the boat landing right when you're coming in? The lake is so spread out with all the fingers, and the park and parking areas are so much higher in elevation than the water that ice access seems a little tough unless a guy wants to pull the portable a mile and a half. Uphill. Both ways. laugh.gif

I only fished there one time and that was in the summer. I was east of the swimming beach then and caught some nice largemouths that day but the route I took to get there was way too steep to be pulling a portable back up the hill there. wink.gif I suppose going right through the beach would work (unless that's gated or something in the winter), but that's a long uphill shack-pull to get back to the truck too.

did u fish with mestad yesterday? he said he was gonna call u then get back to me. never heard from him so i went over by faribault. just wondering how u guys did if you went out at all.

The only access in the winter is the boat ramp. The rest of the park is indeed gated off. You can find some great fishing in the first finger though, so no need to pull a sled great distances unless you want to, which is usually what I do just to avoid the crowds.

He couldnt walk because of his back so I just went to Zumbro. It was slow. How did you do?

small sunnies and crappie, and lost one decent eye. marked fish constantly but they just wanted to look. headin up to red in the morning, hope its better up there

just got back from chester the bite was very slow marked fish all day on my flasher just couldnt get them to bite caught only 2 large mouth and no pan fish i dont no if it was because of the cold cold weather of what well maybe next time.

I just got back for chester myself. Managed one crappie and a lot of lookers. Hoping to find a pattern that could be used tomorrow, 1/21/08 for a tournament.

Anyone have any ideas?

Here's an idea:

If you have an underwater camera, mount it on a pellet gun. That will get the little buggers whether they want to bite or not. grin.gif

Just don't let the tournament officials see you lowering it into the water.

Small flies. Insects live in the water 365 days/year.

Yeah, yeah...it's crazy to think of using flies and not be "fly fishing", but it may be worth giving a "trout" fly tipped with a waxie a try...

\:\)

HAHAHAHAHA, that is funny stuff right there.

Originally Posted By: WxGuy
Small flies. Insects live in the water 365 days/year.

Yeah, yeah...it's crazy to think of using flies and not be "fly fishing", but it may be worth giving a "trout" fly tipped with a waxie a try...

\:\)

The past couple weekends I've seen water boatmen everytime I've been fishing. One will swim up into one of my holes, make a lap or two and swim back down into the deep.

I've also seen what look to be gray scuds scurrying along under the ice.

Well there are two patterns I need to try!