• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cool Cats 2008

I agree with the Channels also being suspended. One trip this winter the water column lite up like a christmas tree with cats. One could pick the one they wanted to try and catch. This was a very good day of cattin. Anywhere from the bottom too 6 ft below the ice. They would come through suspended all over.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DTro

• metrojoe

• Shack

• Tippman

Top Posters In This Topic

There are plenty of places w/ bait between 94 and Horseshoe. I would check the 3 gas stations in Cold Spring before you head into Richmond. There is the SA and the station across the street. Also the one before you get to the river.

On a side note: I don't think I will be able to make it.

We stopped at a few of those gas stations with bait 2 years ago and the problem we had was they all stopped caring fatheads and suckers when the season closed. They did have crappie minnows. Mike's in Eden Vally will have some for sure.

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Scheels In St cloud had some fateheads as of yesterday morning.

Metro Joe, good point.

I have a bag full of frozen med. suckers from last summer in my freezer. I might think about bringing them.

Dtro,

It sounds like the table thing is cleared up, but let me know if things fall threw. I have 3'x6' folding table we used at last weekends FM Kids event.

You bring up a good point too. There is really no reason to wait to buy bait. You could buy it now and cut it up and freeze it.

The bait shops around Cold Spring and Richmond still had plenty of fatheads on hand as of Sunday. Richmond Marine and Southside Gas in Richmond also have minnows for those of you driving into Richmond first. Try to support the area businesses if you can.

On a sidenote, I don't think I'll be able to attend this year's event either.

I think I will be able to make it up this weekend, I am already pumped. I can't seem to find a buddy that isn't busy so I will be alone (probably do better not having to babysit them anyway LOL) Hope to meet some of the people from the forums there. On a side note if you need anyone to come early to help with drilling holes let me know, I got a new auger this year and i love to hear it run. Also if I can do anything else to help let me know.

Originally Posted By: metrojoe
You bring up a good point too. There is really no reason to wait to buy bait. You could buy it now and cut it up and freeze it.

Metrojoe,

You can cut them up when they are frozen out on the ice. I think they cut better frozen anyways, less mess. Being a year round cat fisherman, you should see the things I freeze. I might even have some frozen bullies from last summer.

Oh! Anyone want to try a frozen cow eye and the sock behind it? Huh, huh! Being a cat fisherman I still have some from last year. grin.gif If things are slow, we can fry that up in the pan. They say over sea's they taste good.

Ok a few things.

1. My license says that it expires on Feb 29, so I need to buy a new one I think. I swore I saw something about new rules. Anyways if you need a new license buy one as the CO up there is active (good thing) and may stop by for a visit.

2. As mentioned previously, we are taking advantage of a great resource up there, so let's try to pay it back by supporting any local establishments.

3. This shouldn't be an issue, but let's make sure we left the lake as we found it, or even in better shape. Respect the lake and surrounding area as if it was in your backyard.

Thanks and let's have some fun!

Originally Posted By: shackbash

Dtro,

It sounds like the table thing is cleared up, but let me know if things fall threw. I have 3'x6' folding table we used at last weekends FM Kids event.

Shack, if it's a pain to drag along, leave it. Otherwise if it's not a problem I'm sure we could use another one.

I will throw my tables in the truck as well mine as well use the space back there for somthing no need for an empty load. If you have a time you will be starting to aug some holes I will be staying near Spicer and I have no problems getting up early.

Thanks for the offer YBD. I'm sure I'll be there as the sun is coming up punching holes. You're more than welcome to join me cool.gif

Quote:
1. My license says that it expires on Feb 29, so I need to buy a new one I think. I swore I saw something about new rules. Anyways if you need a new license buy one as the CO up there is active (good thing) and may stop by for a visit.

'07 licenses are now good thru April 30th.

I'm still planning on making it to CoolCats, but I'm not 100% sure if I'll be able to. I got big shiners in the bait tank I'd like to cut and use up too. They aren't gonna do me any good down here.

I will be bringing 3 or 4 bags of frozen minnows I picked up earlier this winter from a bait shop in Cold Spring.The table I have is at least 6 feet long, maybe 8 feet.Wouldn't hurt to have another table there,though.

If anyone is looking to maybe ride up with a guy from the Metro area, particularly the east or southeast metro, please post here as I just talked to Shamu and his partner will not be able to make it.

dtro if you want to give me a time I could meet you at the a gas station in town and follow you out to help set up in the morning otherwise I will plan on being there around 5 or so to help with what I can. Also I will be in Spicer tomorrow around 2 or 3 so if anyone in the area wants to hit the ice let me know!!

I stopped at the SA on tuesday and picked up some fatheads. I talked to the employee there that their business should see a pretty good up-swing on Sat.. Hope he took it to heart.

I didn't mark much on the vex but I was probably in the wrong spot.

I'll be out there with the family and a few friends.

Originally Posted By: YourBobersDown
dtro if you want to give me a time I could meet you at the a gas station in town and follow you out to help set up in the morning otherwise I will plan on being there around 5 or so to help with what I can. Also I will be in Spicer tomorrow around 2 or 3 so if anyone in the area wants to hit the ice let me know!!

5???

I don't think I'll be up there that early \:\)

I have at least a 2 hr drive.

I'm going to try to be on the ice by 7.

Looking forward to meeting many of you. I'm hoping to be on the ice between 6 and 6:30. Probably be by myself so will just bring the clam 2000 with a red Ranger next to it, just ask for help setting up if needed. Hope the cats are cooperating!

Sleep is over rated, when there are fish to be caught you cant catch them without getting your line wet...... at 5 am

How much room does Shamu need for gear. I've got an open seat, but room for a lot of gear could be a problem. How far south?

I think he's looking for someone to ride up with him. He's got plenty of room for gear ;\) He'd probably be coming right by you Joe.

Oh, I thought he was looking for a ride. It doesn't sound like it would work out. I'm coming up with my 2 older boys so we have a Tahoe loaded full of gear. I was thinking if it was just one guy looking for a ride I could make some room.

I'll be driving up from Le Sueur with my 8 year old daughter if someone along the way is looking for a ride. I'm probably only bringing the clam since the brother in law wants to use the big house. Hopefully I can bother one of you guys to punch some holes for us since the big auger is in the other house. It will be nice to meet some of the area anglers.

my plans are to be on ice about 5am as welll and i am still bringing big garbage cans ans some bags but like i said i do not want a whole truck load of trash to get rid of. see you there. ... paul

Yes I am looking for someone to ride up there with me. If you need a ride email me at [email protected] I will contact you tonight about it. Leave me your phone # to call you back. Thinking about leaving about 5 30 or 6.