• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cool Cats 2008

I haven't fished that lake in a few years for cats, through ice or open water, I'll definitely be planning on attending.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DTro

• metrojoe

• Shack

• Tippman

Top Posters In This Topic

Only because I had to work Saturday that I had to miss a couple of other HSO/FM events,but not this coming weekend.Vacation days are already lined up for Fri. & Sat. I am already getting fired up about Cool Cats 2008.I hope this week goes by quickly.See you folks on Saturday.

aanderud,

I figured what “the hey”.

I had to dip into my summer line up of new cat rods and reels fund to purchase it, but I feel I made a wise choice. What I did was I gathered and reviewed a lot of iced cat images from Hanson, Dtro, Tom H and others, to find what they all had in common. It was the MarCum. I know some get lucky (LOL), but I think good electronics is the key to getting the fish on the line and up the hole.

I hope to see ya again, I will be their.

Well the wife switched her schedule around and it looks like I'll be there. I'm hoping to convince my 2 boys to come out with me.

Is the dawn bite still the best bet or are they going all day?

Also wanted to point out that the smaller gas station/bait shops stop carrying the bigger minnows after the season closes. (something we found out at the last Cool Cats event)We ended up going to Mike's Bait and Tackle in Eden Vally.

I would say the best fishing will be from 8-noon.

Looking forward to seeing you all there.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Generally the earlier the better as far as the bite goes. See you guys there!

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Just a little tip bring along some chicken liver if you want they have been getting a few cats recently on it!

I just found out I have something that came up and cannot make it. Three straight years for me not being able to attend and I really wanted this one bad this year.

You all have a great time.

We will meet up this summer or we can get together on the Minnesota and do a night of flathead fishing a few times this summer.

Anytime you would like to go out, you know my e-mail address.

You can bet on that Tom. I can not wait for this summer. It should be a good summer for cat fishing. I will contact ya cool.gif.

So am I going to be able to find fatheads or shiners in the st cloud area before i come down?

I wouldn't count on finding any shiners around here then. You might get some fatheads. Best bet would probably be the baitshop right in Richmond. Cut up smelt work well too because they are more oily, and you can get them at many grocery stores.

Cory, I know there is a bait shop right in Richmond that I've stopped at a couple of times.

I know a local grocery store that normally has smelt i will stop in . The next question is how many people are normally at this event so I know how much to make for the potluck. I am thinking about trying a new recipe that sounds awesome. Can't wait to try this, I have caught just about every kind of fish you can in the winter except for cats.

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Southside and Richmond marine are your best bets for bait locally.

I've never even caught a catfish, but if I'm able to find someone down here in the Metro to make the drive with, I'll probably show up. I'll hopefully get to put some hours on a new Marcum that I'll be picking up today. This event is on my birthday! \:D

You can't clean cats on the ice unless you are preparing them for cooking. Only 1 fish over 24 inches is allowed.

From the DNR web site: "While on or fishing waters with size restrictions, all fish for which the size restriction applies must have their heads, tails, fins, and skin intact and be measurable. A person may prepare and use the fish for a meal while docked or moored to shore, or while on the ice. Fish prepared and used for a meal still count towards the daily possession limit."

Something I could really use is a folding table or two for the food out there. If anyone has one they could bring along I would greatly appreciate it.

I talked to someone at Mike's bait in Eden Vally and they said they would have fatheads for sure and were positive they'd still have suckers this weekend.

Thanks rockman, I'm going to send you an email

maybe not, I don't have your email grin.gif

maybe you could email me

Unfortunately the last time I was cat fishing through the ice was 2 years ago at the last cool cats event. I really can't recall if we were pulling these cats right off the bottom or if they were suspended. If my memory serves me, we were fishing anywhere from 5 to 10 feet off the bottom.

Metro- many times they are suspended... but also can be found near the bottom.. I equate it to fishing crappies.. But bigger!