• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cool Cats 2008

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DTro

• metrojoe

• Shack

• Tippman

Top Posters In This Topic

dtro - as much as I want to make it to coolcats and you've gotten me all rilled up about these things, other committments will hold me back this year, but next year - watch out ;\)

Can't wait to see all of you guys out there. Cool Cats looks like a great time. Napping and fishing, very nice Tom. Wish I had those kind of skills.

Its been awhile since I have been catfishing with you Scott M. We'll have to get out a few more times this summer.

Yep. I've been bouncing around the idea of KOTC. Don't feel bad if you've got full boats some evening and can't take me because I can parasitize harvey lee, dtro, hanson, etc. grin.gif

Still have some pictures for a newspaper article, but maybe need to get some better ones....like a 40 or 50 pound flattie!!!

We'll see you soon and we'll talk catting or ice fishing.

Quote:
There are two popular points of access. The best one to use for vehicles is the winter access. Please check back to this thread closer to the event to confirm ice conditions.

Where is the winter access?

South of the regular state access on Hwy. 22. There are some shrubby trees lining the highway and then you can make out a road going out on each side of Hwy. 22. Head out on the western side. Go slow if its dark out so you don't miss it.

That must be the same access used at the last Cool Cats event. As I recall you drive out onto a small bay and swing around the point heading north. I'm going to try and make this one, but it's not looking good right now. I had a blast at the last one. Fresh fried catfish is awesome.

Winter access is south of the bridge that is over the channel connecting Horseshoe and Cedar Island-or is it East Lake, on the east side of the channel? Anyway, if you see the no parking signs along the shoulder of Hwy. 22,start slowing down because you're close to the winter access spot.You will see where everyone is driving on the lake.

Originally Posted By: Fishing Freak
how much is the fee

The only "fee" that I can remember is that you must enjoy yourself! But the enjoyment from meeting some FM'ers and catching some cats through the ice is priceless.

Originally Posted By: Fishing Freak
how much is the fee

I think the rule is that newbies have to furnish beer for the older guys.

Nope, no fees, just enjoy, and bring something for the noon pot luck feed if you can. No one has gone hungry at one yet.

Here are the coordinates for the winter access to Horseshoe since it can sneak up on you, especially if it's still dark out. Make sure you go West, if you go east you'll be on Cedar Island lake.

N 45.25.289

W 94.30.940

Was out there today a few hrs and only got one cat along with some crappies and walleyes. The barometer was high and rose from 29.90 to 30.25 though.

Thanks for the coordinates and update Tippman!

You are right, that access can sneak up on ya really quick, and you’ll drive right on by.

Hopefully the weather and fish will cooperate with us this year.

Won’t be long now, I’m looking forward to seeing you all there!

just to let you know i will be bringing chips and my famos clam dip. and will bring two large grabage cans and bags and will be able to haul some of the trash if needed. dont want a truckful tho. ... paul

Those channels really like the G0-devils and JB Lures Rattlin varmits in 1/8 oz or 1/4 oz. Glow red seems to be a very good color and dont be afraid to use some cut sucker instead of a minnow head.

Another bait that worked well when the bite backed off was the #6 Orange/Chartreuse Neon Tiger Jig, tipped with a pink plastic and a crappie minnow head. Bingo!

http://www.outdoorprostore.com/kitsjj.html

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/glow-devil-spoons.html

http://www.outdoorprostore.com/jb-lures.html

I was out there today. There's a lot of ice!!! (power auger wouldn't start; 6" Lazer + 36" of ice = sore shoulders \:\( )

Yep, I do believe we won't have any issues at all driving out there.

The fish were biting well on Sun. We probably caught about 20 or so.

I brought my dad out...He had chores on Saturday morning. We get there at 10...end of the good bite. He loses 3 bites, we move around for gills during the 12-2:30 shift, can't find any, come back, he loses another dynamite bite. 4:30 comes, we leave right before the good bite would have started again. I didn't get anything (I was fishing blind; he had my flasher). Moral of the story, we aren't going unless it's when I want to go (e.g. he's getting up super early to do chores). The morning shift had 5 guys on dtro's spot that limited out and another guy was setting up when we left. So I think the bite is good IF you time it right.

Oh well, me and dad finally got out and had quality time. He knows I'm not bluffing when I said it was a good spot, and he had plenty of marks and chances during the non-peak hours.

Get to Cool Cats Early Folks!!!!

What size rod would you use for ice fishing cats and what pound test i was wondering because i plan on go.

This thing sounds like a great time, I think I will be there and will be bringing a couple friends. I have never caught a catfish in my life so this would be a first for me. Also I anyone in our group does catch some will people be willing to show us how to clean them?

Originally Posted By: Shamu
will we need to get extensions for the ice augers?

Might want to have one with just in case. As of last Monday, there was 36+" in that area.

I am ready!!!!!!!!

I got a new LX-5 and things are lined up to get out early.

Should be good times.

I can not wait, even if we do not catch a singe fish grin.gif.

Originally Posted By: shackbash
I am ready!!!!!!!!

I got a new LX-5 and things are lined up to get out early.

Should be good times.

I can not wait, even if we do not catch a singe fish grin.gif.

Sweet! New toy, eh? Sweet! Always makes it more fun if you have new toys to play with!

I'm pretty sure I'll be there too. I have a buddy in Fargo that I've been wanting to get out fishing with, and this would actually be a good place to meet up. I also have to confirm with the better half, but should be good to go.