Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Skipper

12/30/07 Pelican Lake South End

6 posts in this topic

Okay so I put my 8 x 16 house out today.

I have 13 inches of ice under me off from Stevens point in 22 feet of water.

There are a ton of wheelhouses out.

NO 1/2 ton trucks as of yet.

I have seen jeeps, cars and small trucks on the ice.

Ice is firm, no slush that I saw.

Looks pretty good.

Will continue to get better.

In contrast I went to the launch by the public beach on the east end. Most houses were within 1/4 mile of shore. No trucks/cars out yet. The ice is still HIGHLY variable. I've drilled holes that varied from 12 inches to 5 inches. If you go out use a well travelled route. Playing Cap'n Kirk could get you in a "hole" lot of trouble.

I was over by Velvet Beach and there was 12-14 inches of good ice. The top inch or two was a little cloudy, but the stuff underneigh was good ice. Saw a lot of big trucks just north of velvet on a plowed road. I wouldn't drive on it yet with my truck, but I guess that is because my truck doesn't float very well.

Where do they access pelican in the velvet beach area? I know there is a public access on the northeast side of the lake though I've never used it. I've also not seen plowed areas in the 2 years I've tried pelican, must be in the wrong spot grin.gif

We are just north of velvet beach, by the grey house. It is a few more houses north of there. I don't think there is a public access there because it would be on my road, but there were a lot of cars and trucks coming through some guys yard. Don't know if he was charging money to go out there. The road was about 200 yards north of my fish house and was getting quite a bit of traffic. The road cut in a southwest direction toward area between Lincoln Point and Gooseberry.

Well I went out by breezy point.......I was set up in 27ft at the bottom of a rocky point....at dark the crappies started showing up and biting hard caught close to 20 keeping 8 of them from 9-11 inches and caught 2 walleyes, a 12 and a fat 18 1/4. The rest of the group didn't fair so well as they were 30 yards away and caught 3 small crappies and 1 small walleye and a whitefish between 3 of them. Walked out and found one slushy spot about a hundred yards long....not fun to walk through.