Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LetsGoFishing

Big Lake Area

16 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone! I just moved to Big Lake and was wondering if someone can direct me on where to fish. I have a couple daughters who love to fish, and would like to find a spot nearby for them to catch some panfish. As for me, I love to fish for anything, from tip-ups for pike, to late night walleye fishing, and also panfishing.

I'm not looking for anyones hotspots, just places nearby to catch the fish listed above. Any help would be appreciated!

try big lake itself. In years past it's been good.

I've not had much luck on either Big or Mitchell this season. You may want to consider Birch, Big Eagle or driving a bit to Maple Lake.

Thanks for the info. I drove by Big Lake this afternoon, and stopped by the landing to see what was going on. There were quite a few people fishing, and a few trucks on the ice.

I drove through BUffalo and saw plenty of people out on both Pulaski and Buffalo. Being I'm not too familar with the area, I didnt drive by any other lakes.

Also, is there a place nearby to get bait? I'm not too picky as to what they all have to offer, just need something to get me out on the lake.

I have a Green Bay Packer portable clam, so if anyone sees me, stop by and say hi. It would be nice to meet a few people from the area.

Monticello has a good baitshop- shuman's....

otherwise the hardware store in BL sells minnows, grubs and worms.

You are going to have a hard time making friends out there with a Green Bay Packers house....go out and get yourself a Vikings house and maybe people with talk to you, LOL, I'm just kidding good luck to you. Go out to Big Eagle lake thats where you can get some Eye's.

Give Briggs and Julia a try. They are located a few miles north of Becker. I've done pretty well out there for panfish and pike.

Hardware Hank sells bait, its located next to the liquor store in town. Can you say one-stop shopping.

welcome to the site, I see that some of you are new here.

mitchell lake will get some crappies after dark, and both big and mitchell are good for northerns. walleyes can be tough on big, but they are there.

Any one fish Thompson anymore,used to be some crappies and pike roaming around in that little lake?

Where is it located? I'm going out today and would not mind trying a loc. especially if its close??

Head to the hole on Mitchell around sunset and that will get you some crappies. May have to do some sorting.

As far as I know, Thompson has no public access and you need to be a member of the "landowners" association to use their access. This may have changed, but I haven't heard anything. Thompson is a exellent panfish, crappie and bass lake with some nice northerns thrown in. I live in BL and this is the lake I fished until the land ownership changed.

Scotty

Don't let those Viking fans give you a hard time. I have one of those Packer clams too. If you got the deal I got you would not care what it said on. That was quite the garage sale. We don't need to tell every one about it. It is already every sportsman for himself. I live 6 miles north of Big Lake. Shoot me a email and I will let you in on some of my local spots.

As to where to go to get bait in the area, I always go to Ebners on Highway 10 right before 169 veers off of 10 in Elk River. They always have the best bait and best variety.

To Bassphiss I used to fish Thompson all the time and now they have blocked the lake off to public. I think Thompson Lake is a private lake now. Somebody blocked the old public access off. If you do go out there give a post to let us know how the bite is. I'd love to go out there again. Especially since nobody goes out there anymore

GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL

Thanks everyone for the info. I plan on going out this weekend to give it a try. Havent exactly decided where to go yet, but it looks like it will be a good weekend for it.

As for the Packer Clam...hey it was only $50!!