Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gotcatfish

Driving on the lakes up there??

13 posts in this topic

I am headed up this weekend and I would like to know if you guys are driving out yet??? I lived on Grand Lake for 3 years and would like to get out there and out on Fish Lake. From past reports it sounds as if things were a little slushy earlier, has this changed or is it still bad????

Thanks guys!!

I wouldnt even think of it. We only have 8-12" of ice and a ton of snow/slush on top of it. No I dont recomend driving on any of our lakes around here.

thanks Northlander!!

We got about a foot of ice on chub and the slush is freezing up pretty good. I have seen a few small suvs and trucks driving out the last couple days. confused.gif I still wouldnt do it though .

Was on fish lake tonight< was plenty of ice 14+ inches, didn’t have a problem driving small pick up around, did use 4 wheel drive , fishing was alright catching a few crappies , Have a good week and Happy new year...

Fish on!

Like I said before I dont advize anyone driving out on the area lakes. 14" of not real good ice, and less in a lot of spots, with a ton of slush etc. on top isnt what I would call good ice for driving a vehicle on.

Maybe after several real cold days but now they say a warm up coming with highs in the mid to upper 30's. frown.gif

I think if you drive you have a big risk ahead of you not just your stuff but others and there life to save you and your stuff shocked.gif. I was on fish lake today and no way for me for driving out sleds only for me and we should all think safety first. I will live to fish another day and I hope we all do good fishing to all smirk.gif.

Northlander and Skipper's Kid, I agree completely with you. I have not been on Fish, but with the condition of other local lakes I can't believe that there is 14" of ice on Fish. Maybe 8-10" of ice and 4-6" of frozen slush on top. There is a huge difference. With the temps we have been having the ice has likely thinned in many spots. The last couple of nights have maybe allowed it to hold its own but the upcoming forecast does not look good.

Would someone please explain to me why frozen slush would have less load bearing strength than regular ice? I would imagine that under a microscope the ice crystals would look the same, except the frozen slush might have a few more air pockets. I would not think that this would be a big deal, especially with 8-10 inches of good ice under it.

Another thing, the forecast for the next week or so is to have high temps in the upper 30's. We should not lose sight of the fact that even with this, the daily mean temp will be below freezing. This means that we will not be losing ice. We may lose some snow and slush on top, but that will just refreeze at night.

I gotta chime in here,

A major melt is the cure that ails ya!

If we can get some of that snow melted away and packed down, and then return back to the deep freeze, without anymore snow, well, we may be back in business. But in order for the ice to improve, the only way is to melt for a while. No matter how cold it gets there is a huge insulation layer on top of the ice, and unless we lose that layer, no ammount of cold will matter. Come on warm weather!

Frozen slush has quite a bit air and therefore a lot less strength. Take a chunk of clear ice and hit it with a hammer. Note the way it comes apart in chards. Do the same with frozen slush, it crumbles. Clear ice cracks but those cracks are interlocked into a sheet by irregular shapes. Also that frozen slush is on top the ice and contributes to the load. If that slush is frozen down completely to the ice they I'd say it has some strength but not close to what a solid sheet of clear ice has.

What we have now is a crust of frozen slush, a layer of water/slush then ice. So not only is it not making ice, the ice that is there has been insulated from freezing temps. One would have to assume the ice there has been subjected to lakes water temp which is above freezing. Add any type of current and the ice has thinned.

Not only is ice thickness or integrity a concern but you have that crust on top. At some point of thickness, its going to make travel awfully difficult when you break through it.

Quote:

I gotta chime in here,

A major melt is the cure that ails ya!

If we can get some of that snow melted away and packed down, and then return back to the deep freeze, without anymore snow, well, we may be back in business. But in order for the ice to improve, the only way is to melt for a while. No matter how cold it gets there is a huge insulation layer on top of the ice, and unless we lose that layer, no ammount of cold will matter. Come on warm weather!

I agree with this 100%.

Knock down the insulation and it'll start making ice again. I've seen worse years then this for slush.