Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tbone4

fishing report

18 posts in this topic

Just got back from a 2 day trip up to Red. We went out of hillman's and stayed in one of their 5-man sleeper houses. We had about 40 walleyes all of which were between 15-19 inches. We had 19 that were under the slot. There were plenty of misses as well... grin.gif We were out about 3.5 miles. The 5 of us had a great time and can't wait until next time. I recommend going out of hillman's. Buddy came out each day and chatted it up for a good half hour giving us some tips and talkin fishing.

That wasn't you in the big red sleeper was it? Blue dodge parked outside it?

Just got back from fishing 6.6 miles out on Hillman's road. The road by the way was in excellant condition! Fished from 10:15am to 7:30pm. Between 2 of us we caught 2 perch and 7 walleye. We kept 1 walleye. Not one single bite after 4:15. It was SLOW but I am still glad I spent the day on URL. Not a bit of breeze at all. In fact, my ears were ringing when I stepped outside the house and got away from the sunflower/heater humming. It was so quiet! We were in 14 FOW measured from the top of the holes. Ice about 17 inches 150 feet off of the road. From what we observed about people leaving the lake early told us either we picked a slow spot and others were catching them or nobody in our area was doing very good. Red or white was the color trick for us. When fish did show up they would bite. At least that was promising.

yep, that was us in the blue dodge

Better yet... Was that you that we talked to outside the fish house? grin.gif

"Fished from 10:15am to 7:30pm."

A lot of nights the bite isn't really starting until 9-10:00 PM. Some nights the sunset rush isn't happening at all only to fire up at 8:00PM. confused.gif????????

Hey Kelly-P,

I am gonna be up there Weds. - Thursday this week. Wondering what advice on where to go and what road you guys area out of?

Sorry Kelly,

After reading other posts, I realize you are out of Hillmans. Looking forward to seeing you guys this week.

Fished out of Hillmans from late thursday night - sunday.

Stopped at the Hillman bar and they directed us where to set-up Thursday night. They were very helpful.

Started approx. 2.5 miles out thursday and friday.

Caught approximately 30-35 walleyes 13-19", most of them mainly from 11:00PM-5:00AM.

Moved a little north saturday and caught another 15-20.

Ice thickness was 16-18" in all the holes we checked.

Had a great time and will definitely go back out of Hillmans again.

Spent Friday night on the ice, south end about 9'. Caught 1 fish from 2-7pm. Came back at 10pm and had a few overnight - they came at:

12:15am - 20"

2:45am - 18"

5:45am - 16.9999" smile.gif

7:15am - 18"

8:15am - 5 fish on in 10 minutes, landed zero????

8:45am - 19"

9:15am - 18"

Left at 9:30. Seemed like morning bite was more consistent.

It was a decent outing, but not what I was hoping for.

Thanks for the update Blaze! Sounds like you had some action throughout the night. Any slabs though?

We were up there from Friday morning at 9:30 and left first thing Sunday morning. We went out of Hillmans about 3.5 miles out on the road. I tried to listen to Kelly and Jon's advice, so the first spot I saw with not alot of people around was where I stopped the truck. We did not catch a fish until after 10:00 pm on Friday night. We had our share of misses though (and a broken line or 2). But from 10:00 Friday night until noon the next day we were fairly busy. 1 Crappie, 1 34" northern and about 9 walleyes (again with our fair share of misses). Then at about noon on Saturday until we left on Sunday we did not catch one fish. But we ended up watching quite a few movies... smile.gif This was my first trip with my new house, so I consider the trip a huge success!!!! Nothing bad happened!!

Here are a few pics from the weekend...

House getting ready to set up.

IMG_0001.jpg

Buddies Crappie

IMG_0006.jpg

Wife's Walleye

IMG_0010.jpg

My Northern

IMG_0011.jpg

Hillman's road was in great shape, thanks alot to anyone and everyone that makes it that way!!!

Nice pics and fish house,

I almost purchased an Eliminator, bu the wife put the smack down on that. So I ended up with a regular 14' v front ice castle. How much ice did you have?

I guess we probably left a little early....On my way up to LOW, decided to stop by Upper Red and give it a go.

Didn't get started till about 2:30pm, going out of Hillmans. Good road, but very little action. We didn't catch a fish from 2:30pm till 8:30pm! So we loaded up and went on up to LOW, to get the house set up. I would have stayed the night on Upper Red, but didn't have the stuff to stay overnight.

I did see alot of fish on the Vexilar, but nothing would commit. I lowered the camera down as it was getting dark and saw some eye's swimming around, but again nothing seemed interested in eating.

Oh well, that's my slow report.

BTW, why is the road fee now $10.00??? I know gas, etc,etc, but gas hasn't went up that much has it? Lake of the Woods is still $7.00 or $8.00 depending on where you go out of. I'm not complaining, The road was very nice, just wondering why such a big increase, it went up to $8 from $5 just a few years ago...Now it jumps another $2.00 bucks. Is it because there isn't as many people going out? I guess it's just me being curious....

Talk to ya'll later.

Is there no day bite for anything at all going on? I'm going up this weekend but will only have access to the lake during the day...would hate to go all that way and not catch anything.

I was wondering the same thing. 10.00 did all the resorts up the price again???

Kelly,

I have my own wheelhouse, but would like to come up and fish off your road. If you were to direct me to a good area and plow a spot for me, what would I have to do to arrange soemthing like that?

First it is Hillman's road. We just help plow it and base where we go off from it. No income from it but also no 2:00 AM phone calls from lost people either. grin.gif We no longer "direct people to a good spot". Too many times the people we helped out then fired up their GPS and Cel phones and called 500 of their buddies and it turned into a circus. Besides now many of our clients have their portables along so we just set them up on any good spots we stumble onto.