Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
freebledsoe

Where to take my daughter fishing

8 posts in this topic

Hi folks, I have my daughter here for the holidays (10 yrs old) and I would like to take her somewhere she can catch fish. Obviously a 10 yr old won't have the patience of a 37 yr old father between bites, so any suggestion where to get good action with the chance for decent size pannies or crappies? She is excited to go on her first ice fishing trip and I would like to make it one to remember.

I live in Northfield so I usually go to Faribault lakes.

The E end of Frances, George, Shields or Duck would all be good choices.

Thanks T.O., if I take her to Frances do you think we should set up in maybe 10-15 fow? I don't have a flasher (and never been there) so I'm going by the DNR lakemaps.

Sorry to sound like a noobie but I don't ice fish much and always for walleyes. Would 10-15 ft be good for pannies?

That's a nice range of depth to start in. On the E end of Frances, on the S shoreline, you can set-up along a nice breakline right out in front of the city playground/park and townhomes.

Good luck.

Well I took my girl out on the ice for the first time, it didn't go so well. crazy.gif

We walked across the ice, set up my little portable, drilled a couple holes... and by the time the first line was down I heard the dreaded "I'm cold!" line.

After a 1/2 hour of no bites she decided ice fishing is for the birds. Says she will wait til we can go in the summer again. Can't win em all, I just wish she would have caught even a baby perch to get her interested.

Hey Free, Next time you want to take her out, take her to Kohlmeir in Owatonna. Not much for size, but the number of small sunnies is unbelievable. Took my daughter there last year. She caught fish non stop for about an hour. She can't wait for dad to go again. She is now 5. The nice thing is you aren't that far from shore so you can let them keep warm in the car and get setup, then go get them so they don't get cold. Although my daughter loves to be outdoors and won't hardly admit she is cold. cool.gif

I would also recommend waiting for the weather to be a little more cooperative. Fishing these past few days are tough conditions.

If your just looking to get her fishing, you can go after perch on Clear in Waseca during the afternoon. Perch are so thick under my house that any tiny minnows or worms don't survive long. However, they don't like to come up more then about a foot so fish close to the bottom. My friends kids have had a blast the last couple years catching 20-30 in a few hours.