• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice update- just got back

deadminnowcatcher

Just got back from da pond where we spent 3 days with a wheel house that we pulled out with a wheeler. We used 3 differnt south side resorts to access the lake. All 3 of them had a road plowed out that was good for a wheeler. The problem you will find is getting to where you want to go off the road. Slush and snow are huge issues. If u r happy setting up anywhere then you will be happy. There were times we wanted to get to a break line off these roads and just could not do it so we would set up in what i would consider in a less than good location.

so if you just want to get out have at it but if you want to use a lake chip to get in a prime spot forget it for now.

If pulling a portable with your wheeler in my opinion you could get almost anywhere you would want to get and probably would not need chains. If you budget allows put chains on . I put them on in the fall and leave them on all winter. They really help

So can you go anywhere or are you limited to just the plowed roads?With a sled and portable or small pull behind I would think anywhere on the lake is easily accessible.c63

I respectfully disagree with being able to go anywhere tongue.gif I also got back today and my wheeler is still in the garage with the bullet heater pointed at it (has been for 3 hours) trying to thaw all the ice off it. once you are off the main roads, it's over. I have a 700 with chains, and got very stuck a couple times. you'll be going good for a while, then break through the crust to the slush. at one point, I was standing in about 4-5 inches of water/slush while trying to shovel!!! the south side is better than the north/west. I tried to get to the flats from Garrison, made it to Garrison reef and couldn't get any further. we ended up leaving mille lacs for a small area lake and got into some crappies!!!

just got back from millie,yes it is not the best driving conditions but made my way out to the cut on shermans flat with not to much of a problem. if you keep moving at 15-20 mph. you can get just about anywhere. i have a griz 660, my buddy a 500 rubicon. i towed my winnie flip over. buddy got stuck a couple times, get off wheeler and push as you pull the throttle you will get going, hop on and get back to 15-20 mph.. i never came to a stop unintentionally and my "winnie" was loaded w/everything but the kit sink.. caught 2-14" and a fat 25". buddy caught a skunk. plenty walleyes moving through but not too aggresive. heading back tommorrow. wink.gif

wingnut, i went out of a private access my bud owns in wigwam bay. there was 11 inches on the cut. you can go out of northstar resort in wigwam, they have a short road started.

wingnut, the road doesn't go far at all, maybe 200 yards or so. i'm not sure it is clled northstar or not, changed ownership so many times in the years.