• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tun~ I imagine you are out fishing. Should be out there in the AM as early as possible waking up the locals with my auger. Swing by if you some lights over yonder. There may be a cafe' royale or 2 left in the thermos

good Luck all!! Should be a good day on the ice.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tunrevir

• Fuzzbient

• Red Miller

• jpaulson

I'll be out about noon today. Got family stuff to take care of early. I'll look for you Red. . Good luck out there. I laid in bed this morning at 345 and debated whether or not to hit it for a few hours this morning but the pillow won out.

Tunrevir~

hehehe as well it should have. We were out at 0600 and it was tough. No fish showing up on the first spot in about 12'. Moved to 16' and saw some hugging the bottom with a serious case of lockjaw. My buddy got a snake and for me...nada. Hung it up at 1000 and went back for eggs, bacon, hashbrowns and a nap. Hope you are doing better this evening.

Was that your shack sitting there all by its lonesome?

Yeah red I think the shack you saw was mine. We had a crew out yesterday afternoon in all different depths with a couple of small pike, a few small crappies and 1 walter. The littlest guy in the crew got the walleye on a bobber and crappie minnow with a glow jig. 5 years old and as his dad was packing up and they were getting ready to go he says, "This has been one of the best days of my life, I took third in my wrestling tourney, got a trophy and now I caught a walleye and outfished your buddies!" Very cool indeed! Spent the night trying to get the crappies to go and managed to get some to hit after dark on glow jig and eurolarve. I have heard there is a decent bite on second for crappies and they are managing a few bigger ones between little tykes. Which makes me think I need to hit third lake and try a few of my later season crappie haunts which I should have all to myself!

Tunrevir~

New to the site but have been reading ad appreciate all the tips ! Ventured SW away from the crowd yesterday and the bite was good on Lake 2 from 4:30 till 2am in 25 ft. One sunnie, one perch, no walleyes,and LOTS of small crappies (over a hundred for our group of 6). Pink or chartruse glow jig and minnow or larve. Scented plastics were workin too. A few over 10" All in all a lot of fun. Thanks again for all the good info ! This an excellent board.

I moved our house near the middle of 3 in about 16 feet of water, and there is about 22 inches of ice. Just drive slow, the warm, cold weather caused the ice to become rough.

It was a sad day yesterday as I sold my permanent. Didn't get what I wanted but it was getting late in the season. kept the heater as they are no longer being made, so that was some consolation. I was having a little difficulty with place I store it. My 12 yr old son was pretty upset with me. So I promised him we would build a new one this summer that is smaller so I can take it home on a trailer and store it at my house. Last night fishing in it (sat) was bittersweet to say the least, moved it in shallow for eyes had 4 runs missed 3 and right after dark my son had a real nice one 4lbs or bigger by the way it was pulling and lost it at the hole! It was a quiet ride home but later we talked about our favorite moments in the shack, Didn't think I would get so sentimental about it. On the bright side I bought a new Eskimo Profish at Mikes to Tide me over till next year. Next time out we are going to hunt for the big crappies we use to get in the 80's out in no mans land on Third. We'll see if they still come through right after dark. Been dying to try it for years. But didn't like leaving my perm out there by itself. Good fishing to all.

Went out yesterday at about 2pm on the northwest side of Lake 2.

I drove the 4 wheeler from the house out on the lake, PLENTY of ice. I measured 23" with the top inch being white.

I only lasted about 3 hours before I got fed up. I got nothing but little perch and too many idiots out on the ice. I was pretty much all by myself, there was a permanent about 40 yards away but I don't believe anyone was in it.

The People driving 50MPH across the lake then losing control and spinning all over the place, and the loud piped 4 wheelers.

There were just too many people screwing around doing donuts on the lake for me I had to leave.

People need to realize that doing 50MPH+ on a lake is ridiculous! not to mention dangerous. Losing control and slamming into a house or someone because you can't stop on glare ice PAY ATTENTION and use some common sense.

Oh yea can't forget about the nimrod that thought it was funny to drive across lake to in a black newer explorer honking his horn. WHATS THE POINT and GROW UP!

Hey Crappiecatcher.

I heard those loud piped wheelers from the house. All day long...couldn't tell what it was, but it was way too loud. I usually like the sounds coming from the lake, both in summer and winter, but that was annoying !

Originally Posted By: EYESTALKER
Hey Crappiecatcher.

I heard those loud piped wheelers from the house. All day long...couldn't tell what it was, but it was way too loud. I usually like the sounds coming from the lake, both in summer and winter, but that was annoying !

I agree some of the sounds are great to hear from my house as well but that was overboard.

I was going to call the DNR or sherriff because that was not even close to a legal exaust system.

Were you fishing that weedline, maybe 30 yards offshore (in the NW corner of Lake 2)? I've fished it a couple times on the ice and had some luck. I've seen The Griz troll it in the summer a couple times too. I gotta get a camera down there to see if there's something more than just a long weedline...

I was probably 100-150 yards of shore.

According to my lakemaster chip in the GPS there is a peninsula that comes off shore at about 10ft depth and drops off to 20 or so feet of water.

I never see anyone fishing it so I thought I would give it a try.

I dropped the Aquaview down and found it was pretty much silt/mud with divets all over the place. Kinda looked like a golf ball. Not much for weeds just 4-5" scattered weeds off the bottom all over sparatically. Nothing but little perch on the bottom.

I live pretty close (close enough to ride the wheeler to the lake) so I thought I might as well try and figure the lake out. So I have been trying little spots all over where no one else fishes, without much success yet.

I'm glad I'm not the only one out trying to find fish were there are no fisherman. I found some very cool structure on 3rd including the hard to find 40 foot hole. I got some nibbles, but had no minnows so I came home with lots of new spots to try, but no fish.

There is a very interesting peninsula under 3rd lake on the north side off of shadyland point, but there is no weeds. I saw no fish on the camera. There is a lone perm right on the end of the penninsula.

FLaker

Originally Posted By: FLaker
I'm glad I'm not the only one out trying to find fish were there are no fisherman. I found some very cool structure on 3rd including the hard to find 40 foot hole. I got some nibbles, but had no minnows so I came home with lots of new spots to try, but no fish.

There is a very interesting peninsula under 3rd lake on the north side off of shadyland point, but there is no weeds. I saw no fish on the camera. There is a lone perm right on the end of the penninsula.

FLaker

Its fun to try these areas that look good on map/GPS. And to see no houses in the area makes it even better. One of these days I am going to find one that produces. I have a ton to try and from the looks of the lake most are not occupied which could be good or bad. You never know unless you try I guess.

I know the penisula on third you are talking about is on my list of "try it" spots as well.

Tun~..sorry, work has been all-consuming this week and havent had a chance to write. Sounds like you had a great day on Saturday! Its a lot of fun to watch the kids excitement when they get into some fish. I think you are doing your part to ensure the future of the sport. I was going to go out on Sunday but the chores got the best of me. Did you get dug in over there or did you move on?

Like the guys have been saying, there are a million spots to try out there. I was eyeballing lake 3 and may give it a try this weekend. The gal called me at work today and told the me the birds were going crazy on the feeders and I should stop by the lake on the way home. Tempting but all the gear was at home.

I went out Tonight to try to find a walleye on Lake 3 and instead ran into a mess of crappies suspended in 15 feet. I took a few home. I'm going to go out before sunrise Tomorrow and see what I can catch. It'll take a few more to make a meal for the family.

Nice job on the Crappies Fuzzbient! Kinda fun to bump into a school that you can have all to your self! They have been on the bite lately from what I hear. I'm gonna be out poking around for a bit tonight. Red, stop by this weekend if your out and say hello. I should be out Saturday from 1 till dark. Good luck out there guys!

Tunrevir~

Tun, Red, Fuzz...

Hey guys, there'll be the Wilkey tourney on Saturday on Lake 2. A pretty good event if you haven't done it. But, if you don't care for crowds that'll be a day to stay off of 'second' for sure...

Eyestalker, Thanks for the tip, I will be in the "dont care for the crowds" column myself. Sounds like we are going to get cold fronted on Friday night/Saturday morning. I may try to rush over there Friday afternoon after work and fish 'til dark. Tunrevir, I got a look at the great white on the other board..nice slab..awesome! And dont feel bad...Im the IT guy at work and I cant figure out how to add an avatar...but then again I havent spent a lot of time on it.:)

I will try to swing by on Saturday afternoon and see if you are out and about. If the wind is really honkin' I may rethink that.

I had a great night out on the water tonight! Caught alot of little crappies and was actually trying for some bull gills and crappies by trying out some of the advice on this site. I drilled my holes early after work and ran back out after the kids were fed. Caught some decent fish, not exactly what I was after but decent nonetheless and they will eat well. Kinda fun to try some new tactics and get away from what you are used to. Red, thanks for the update. I'll probably be out for sure Saturday and sunday afternoon because it is a little me time. Upside, the eyes are biting in a bit deeper then they have been and the bite moves shallower as the night progresses. The crappies can be found in the same haunts but later in the evening. Bigger jigging spoons and minnow heads are working for the eyes and the smaller forage minnows in glow are working for the larger crappies. If the bite is off a bit then go to plastics and or a smaller jig and euro larve or waxies. The fish seem to like a bit of quivering and some take away games. Hope this helps! No, I won't be out for the crowds this weekend or next. I did end up putting a call into the local PD about the cars that were going all over tonight. I assume they got their men as the carreening cars stopped shortly after the call.

Tunrevir~

Turnevir, I am the house just to the sw of yours in the light blue house , I think, according to your pics. We are in about 15-16 ft. Moved over last Fri. A few small perch, which is a nice change from the to of 7-8 in. crappies we had on 2 @ 32 ft. Hoping to get some walleyes. 2 guys are out all night tonight. Hope we get some.

KJ, as of last night, I had only one other shack near me and it was in deeper water. I was out last night from 4-8:30 and stopped by and said hello to my nearest neighbor who is about a hundred yards from me to the west. I'll be out this weekend Fri-Sunday. Good luck out there!

Tunrevir~

The weather forecast for Friday looks promising with the warm up and possible snow. Think I'll try some late night fishing that night. I might stay off the lake Saturday if the crowds show up and the temp is on a downward spiral.

Went out early morning before sunrise Yesterday and the crappies showed up for a bit of breakfast. They hightailed it with the sunrise.

Red Miller,

You read my mind on getting out Friday afternoon prior to the front's arrival. Haven't had a real good pre-front bite on the ice yet this winter. I'm due ! I'll be driving a camo Pol 500, towing a Clam Voyageur. Stop on in if you see me out there... I'm thinking I'll start on the NE side of first, for starters.

If I don't go to south center tomorrow night I might venture out on third lake somewhere. Last weekend I didn't do so good on the NW side of second. I was the only shack in the area. If you see a Clam 5600 parked next to a new blue Honda Rubicon with wheels and a trailer stop buy and say hi.

I will be heading out friday evening as well. I am off the access from Ideal Ave in the hole. OSB shack and will probably be driving a black tahoe. Good luck everyone.

turnebvir, which lake ur shack on? mayb i will stop by this sat as i want to fish closer to home. and havent fish on flake this year... too many lake so little time...

Matty, I'm on Forest lake of course. I'll e-mail you tomorrow and let you know where. I won't be out till the afternoon hours on Saturday and Sunday but will probably spend some time out there tomorrow night before the crowds arrive. Good to hear from you, how has the fishing been in Wisc.? Any new hot spots you would like to share with me? I'm already getting the itch to hit the river and if the weather would ever cooperate.

Tunrevir~