Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fly651

White Bear Lake

16 posts in this topic

Just wondering if you can park by the VFW??? I went there and it was a private dock sign so I went over to the Ramsey beach and got a couple small walleye only... catch and released. Plus there was a ton of little perch.

I usually park in front of Johnson Boat Works and walk out from there launch.....I don't think they mind a bit. If you want to avoid the one way street i'd park at the shopping center lot.

Hey fly how deep were you. When you caught the eyes.

I was in 20 fow by the 3 permanents. When the sun set the walleyes came in fast and I missed two nice hits. Caught them two on small shiners. I would recommend buying shiners if you're going for walleyes over there. My buddy caught one on fatheads with a jigging spoon.

I saw a couple of guys fishing in front of the vfw but didn't know where they parked so I wondering if I'd be able to park there without any problem. Thanks.

As far as I know you can park anywhere along that road. Many many moons ago I worked at that kowalskis. I never saw any problems with parking there.

I was out off Ramsey this morn with my Grandson. No caught fish, but we saw lots of perch and one BIG muskie on the camera. He just loafed around for awhile, showed slight interest in a Swedish pimple, but no other fish. That was in about 15 FOW near the rocks.

We moved slightly to 21 FOW and saw schools of small perch, but nothing else, and no perch even bit. I am thinking we were too shallow, who knows. Hard to move a ton with aq little guy along smile.gif

Hey box are you gonna be out there tonight. If so do you have the red cross out there yet.

Ha! Nope, not yet. No sled, so have to wait until we can drive out in truck to pull it. I forgot to even look colsely at ice, but I would guesstimate about 10". We were just inbetween the purple shakc and the rock pile today. I think farther east and deeper would have been better. Talked to another guy whoe was south of the rock pile and he didn't get a bite, so he moved waaaay farther east, other side of bar.

I was hoping to have it out, but maybe next weekend. smile.gif Good luck tonight. I have to go to last party of the season.

Hey box took your advice went a little deeper 20fow more towards manitou. Did ok got a nice 18" walter around 8:15. Some crappies came in and out thru out the night as well. Lot of fun. grin.gif

Where did you go out from??? and where's the rock pile??? Thanks.

The rock pile is labeled Ordways bar on maps. On the lake though it is surrounded by orange snow fence, because they are sticking out of the water this year. You can either go out from Motaska park or Ramsey beach either way its a hual without a fourwheeler or snowmobile. I pulled my gear by myself and was exhausted last night. blush.gif

Hey, cool, you had much better luck than us smile.gif I am thinking about tonight, but not sure if the queens are worth watching or not... Plus I'm not feeling great.

But good to hear you had action. I will try deeper too. I know I always fish 26-28+ in summer, so I should know better than to go too shallow in winter, but I ain't the brightest bulb smile.gif

From Ramsey Beach somebody (thank you whoever you are! I think maybe the folks in the purple shack) plowed a small road with ATV, so nice and easy pulling even by foot.

Good luck!

Fished in front of the VFW tonight from 4-8pm and caught 5 nice crappies in 14 FOW....they were awfully picky on what they'd bite.....Thank You MarCum! smile.gif

Quote:

From Ramsey Beach somebody (thank you whoever you are! I think maybe the folks in the purple shack) plowed a small road with ATV, so nice and easy pulling even by foot.

I too would like to thank that person. You have no idea how much easier that made pulling my gear out today.

Thank You!!

I third the thanks it was like walking the dog when I had to drag out the portable. Good luck out there been having a tuff time on the ice the last few times out.

I wish I had some info for you guys, but after last year horrid season I had on WBL, I have been very reluctant to go out there this year. And after reading the posts, I have a feeling I would have the same luck as last year. I don't know if I was just that horrid of a Ice Fisherman (very well could be) but all I could pull out of the hole was pike (off waxies) and perch. I would love to hit the EYES out there this year, but if I do it wont be for 2 weeks.