• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

For the past 5 days or so, I've been targeting walleyes and I must admit, it's been a struggle. Like many have already mentioned, each bite has required a work-out and the bites were not coming regularly for me. In fact, much of this report could tell you where not to fish. But today the "rubber met the road" and I ran into a large school of 'eyes ranging from 13 - 20" that were more than hungry. grin.gif

First and foremost, I have put on a lot of miles and have been fishing bodies of water in the area less traveled. Until today, I was focusing on mid-lake structure with cover, mud to sand shoreline transitions and cover on flats in 4 - 15' of water. Although I was getting fish, it wasn't what I was looking for because of a couple things; 1) the feeding window was too short and 2) lack of size was typical. Today, I switched gears and went to main lake points, steep drop-offs, and gravel to mud transitions. During the day, I was hopping from hole to hole with #3 Salmo Chubby Darters and my Arctic Armor just trying to mark fish, get a look at a lure, anything. I also picked an area to set-up my house and then let it settle down before I hunkered in ~3:30 pm. While I was hole-hopping a transition area, I had several fish come racing into the presentation but then just "knick" it and I could not connect. However, this gave me the feeling that there were fish in the area and my chances would be fair when the sun hit the trees. Wow, was that the case! The walleyes absolutely went nuts from 4:15 pm until I packed up at 6:00 pm. In fact, when I was packing up, I still had fish on my FL-20 and I released two 19" fish on my dead-stick rod. grin.gif While the sun was still up, aggressive jigging took all the fish but when the sun set, then they just wanted the presentation "glowed" and laying almost flat on the bottom. I kept 6 between 14 - 18" for an early lunch tomorrow before heading back to the lake and the rest were released. grin.gif

I'm definitely not going to jump the gun and call this a "pattern" but I'm going to fish this area for 3 - 4 more days and see what unfolds. More details to follow... grin.gif

Here are a few samples of what several looked like...

Bullied by a Buck Shot tongue.gif

winter002fg5.jpg

Looks like dinner grin.gif

winter003py9.jpg

Perfect eaters.Big question is if you looked down the hole and did your famous walleye inhale grin.gifNow that would be another camcorder moment grin.gifWay to go...Great job TO

Jamison,

Great report. This week I hope to get back out, and your report (plus pics) is like throwing gasoline on an open flame. grin.gif

I took the AA off and turned on the heater while in The Den. Well, when I stepped outside for a couple of quick photos, I was reminded it was winter outside. grin.gif

Spoken like a true "Boy Scout". grin.gif

Good luck in your hunt. It's been an endurance race for me but finally...

The fishing continues to be good in the area I located on Friday but I think the fish are starting to figure me out. grin.gif Also, the change in weather and increased recreational traffic on the weekend probably isn't helping either. I have watched the size decline to a 15"er being tyical and they are now almost "belly to the bottom". However, the action is still good and 15 fish can easily be put on the ice if you're on your A-game. I had Ken (FM-Hawkeye43) with me tonight and we put 8 fish on the ice 15 minutes before sun-down and then things slowed to a fish here and there until we packed up at 6:00 pm. Ken kept a handful for a dinner and that's where it ended. Everything else was released for someone else's enjoyment.

Most of the fish were taken on glow Rattlin' Varmints manufactured by JB Lure's, a FM sponsor. These jigging spoons are great. Take a look at them at http://outdoorprostore.com/jb-lures.html, along with many other items sold right here in our very own on-line store.

I think I'm going to fish the area one more time tomorrow unless something else comes up and then "get out of Dodge" and hunt down another area bite. This has been a fun one indeed!

Thanks for coming along tonight Ken. As always, a good time.

Fish, Oil, Batter, Smile

morewinter001fr6.jpg

Two 15"ers count as a 30"er, right? grin.gif

morewinter002yz7.jpg

Change in plans; leaving Spot A and heading to Spot B. Solid tip from some fellow FM'ers. grin.gif

Details to follow...

TO. With the ones we got and the few Matt had I made a quick trip up to that guy I was telling you about. You should have seen the smile on his face, Priceless. cool.gifcool.gifHe wanted to know all details, sorry I spilled my guts to him. shocked.gif I hope that isn't the last walleyes I can get there. I on a mission, now, talk later. blush.gifcool.gif

When it's for a good cause, go ahead. grin.gif

Nothin' better than happy endings. Give him my best.