Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rcook72

Bad River ice

4 posts in this topic

I took the dogs for a walk to check out the ice on the rum in anoka at fair grounds. I have caught decent crappies in the summer and wanted to see how the ice was in a place that I thought would hold them. I know River ice is really sketchy so I stuck in the 3ft water depths. Snow mobiles have been running up and down the river. Anyways my Choc Lab took a plunge 10ft or so ahead of me, luckily he came back up the same hole. After making sure that my 7mo old choc didn't take the same plunge I concentrated on not going in myself and hooked both leashes together and was tossing them at my little buddy hoping that he would grab on. He was struggling so hard to get out by himself that he wouldn't grab my rope. Finally he fell back in and while swimming in his hole grabbed the leash and pulled him out. Moral of the story you all no it, there is know such thing as safe ice, and protect your dogs. I was kinda mad at myself the dog loves water frozen or not he will go in but the suprise startled him, I am glad he just came back up and didn't get caught under the sheet.

Thanks for the reminder, and I'm glad your dog is safe and sound.

Glad to hear he came out of it all right. Scary situation!

yes that must have been a scary situation. i have seen the snowmobile tracks on the river while crossing some bridges, and i was startin to think that maybe i could start fishin on the river. i fish the river in the summer 3-5 days a week, about 5 miles north of anoka. thanks for postin this, i know i'm going to wait a little longer, well crooked lake hopefully will keep me busy grin.gif