• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Auger....need more power

toonfish

Question

My auger is about 10 years old and still starts fine.....but it never seems to get to a full rev. It also quits with too much resistance cutting holes. It is frustrating to re-start 2 times to cut one hole.....any quick, ideas on what some of the problems may be??

6 answers to this question

Governor spring is weak. There is a sring that links the throttle to the carb. Find that spring. One end will have a long straight hook and the other will have a hook right next to the spring coils. That is where it should connect to your throttle. On the throttle end, cut off 3 turns including the hook. Bend a new hook using the next turn and reconnect it to your throttle. That should get you back in the game or close to it.

My neighbor is a mechanic, and he always says for old small engines, to give a quick little squirt of oil (any oil) into the cyclinder. It helps build a bit of compression, and I haveit work wonders. It doesn't "fix" anything, but helps for old weak cyclinders. Give it a try with 2 stroke oil, it certainly won't hurt it. Good luck.

That sounds just like my auger, i took it in at the begining of this season and they replaced the spring and it runs like new again, But i payed 50 in labor to replce a 2 dollar spring, that im sure i could have replaced myself.:(