Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HookEmHard84

Square Lake

7 posts in this topic

Hey I noticed in the "Lake Elmo" post that people were talking about weird no parking rules. Does anyone know if there are any rules like that fo Square Lake? Is it just like the summer where you can buy a pass for the day?

Has anyone been out there? How's the fishing in the winter?

Not sure about how the fishing has been this winter on Square, but the roads get plowed to the launch so access to the lake should be ok, unlike Lake Elmo. Parking fees do apply at both parks, year-round. You can still access Lake Elmo from the park, but it's a hike from the nearest plowed parking lot...and you get yelled at if you use the ski trails. Lots of folks access the lake from a private property on the southeast corner of the lake...I think that resident charges a fee for access, but the walk to the lake is shorter.

They plow right down to the landing at Square lake - Elmo and Square are both Washington County Parks but the property owners on Square must not think that they own the lake.

phishead,

actually, square residents are equally protective of "their" lake...the guy with the plow truck,tho, fishes square not elmo. I think the actual policy of WC Parks is not to snow plow to any lake access (liability reasons)...square was grandfathered in, so to speak.

Failin' (aka spreadhead)

I could be wrong but I think I remember hearing that the residents on Square wanted the dnr to quit stocking trout because they thought it was the reason the water was losing it's clarity. Turns out that it was salt from the roads getting into the lake. I just called lake Elmo to see if you can park by the access this year and she told me it wasn't plowed. O

All I know is a couple of years back, I got a ticket for not paying during ice fishing...If you can make it to the landing and park down there it is ok, but if you stay in the lot, you gotta pay, unlike other pay lots that close in the winter. And they patrol quite regularly.

Yeah - you have to pay in the honor box. My buddy and I got a ticket at Square a few years ago - we paid but didn't display the reciept properly. It must have flipped upside down from the wind when we opened the door -- oops!