• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Taking 5 yr old out and need some help

crappieseeker

I am taking my son (5 yr old) out on Sunday and/or Monday. I have never been on any of the Metro Lakes so I am looking for some help. I am actually new to ice fishing. I have only been out a couple of time on URL. Any help that you could give me to help him catch some fish would be great.

We will be in Eden Prairie and I am planing on fishing possibly on Sunday and for sure on Monday. I am willing to drive a bit to catch fish. Also, we would be walking out to any spots that we will fish.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Tim

grays bay on tonka is a short walk from the area you park. you should be able to catch bluegills with waxies and small ice spoons. throw out a tip up or two for a snake. there are lots of small northerns that might be biting.

if you are willing to drive a while there is a great lake just for sunnies in the anoka area. last year i went out there a couple of times and i caught 101 sunnies in like 6 hours..and a bad day is like 40 of 'em... its a small lake, most of it is a swamp but there is a 15 ft hole about 100 yds straight out from the landing, there is usually 3 or 4 houses out there. A lot of stunted fish, but a few with some decent size.if you just want to catch some fish with the kid this is a great lake. its just round lake heres the dnr lake finder link http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/results.html

yes i know that the dnr doesnt have a fish report, but there are lots of sunnies and ive been told that there are a few crappies..good luck

That's great. I hope you two have a great time. There are actually two really nice lakes in EP that I like to fish. They hold good crappies and sunnies and have a good bite, and if you fish with some medium sized shiners on tipups or by jigging, you can catch some Bass and Northerns. Check out the DNR lake finder for Red Rock and Mitchell lakes. I may be out there on Saturday and Tuesday. I prefer RR, and if you are going there, look at the lake map for the hole in the main part of the lake. Fish in about 6-8 FOW. I usually fish with wax worms for the panfish. Good luck and happy new year.

Curtis

I totally agree with squirtis. Check out Red Rock Lake. Its south of Hwy 5 at Mitchell Rd. The access is on the south side of the lake. The close bay has a small hole in it and people do okay, but I prefer to fish the north end. Its deeper and I think its better habitat. I took my family out last weekend ans we caught at least 60 sunnies, a couple crappies and had one tipup that I missed.

Its a great lake for youngsters cause the fish bite all day and there really isn't a bad spot. I may be out there so look for a green otter and a guy wearing the red arctic armor.