Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
whittsend

Reef Fishing - Early March

12 posts in this topic

Our group has been going to the Wigwam for a number of years, but all trips have been made in the early season. This year the plan is to head up the end of February / beginning of March, and try reef fishing, as was recommended to us by one of the guides last year.

First time doing this, just wondering what to expect, other than the long trip out/back.

Any tips, suggestions, comments, or stories are appreciated!

Whittsend

We made a URL & LOW trip in March about 3 years ago. When i walked into the Wigwam i ran into Gary Roach and some guys from Strikemaster and Lowrance. We ran out to the Reefs and had excellant fishing. The ride was long but worth it. I am planning to do it again this year. Bigger fish and more action out there. Let me know if you are going, maybe we could hook up

I'm in the group with Whittsend. The guide at Wigwam said they start taking people to the reefs in mid-Feb depending on ice. Just wondering a few things. 1.)what reefs are they referring to? 2.)Does Wigwam have heated houses out that far or are you supposed to bring portables and they supply the transportation? I realize I'll probably have to call them to get the full details, but just interested in what you folks know about what we're in for?

thanks for any info.

Fished the reefs many times usually a hour ride 25 miles approx out to them. Yes there are heated houses there. Transportation is supplied. Tough to bring protable if your riding with Wigwam in there vans to many people to little room. Fishing can be great if you hit it right. Prefer to go out when it's first starts up in Feb or like the others it slows down when fished to much. Many people drive snow machines and fish with portables out there also just a long ride. I'll see if I can located some coordinates from trips past.

Which reefs do they (Wigwam) go to? Just want to look at a map or a H2Oc and see where we are going to fish.

thanks

N 49 07 204

W094 47 929

did well here last year but again that was last year.

Bridges Reef area is all good, good luck

I've ben going up to Wigwam the last 4-5 years and have always had better luck on the reefs. The toughest was two? years ago when the water was all turned up from the windstorm pre-ice. We caught all of our walleyes 1-6 feet under the ice in 34 FOW. Crazy! My brother and I have been up there on sleds and have had 100 fish days each in early march. It's kinda weird to get upset when you catch another eye hoping for a perch or nice sauger. The first time I brought him up there he thought I was joking about getting at least ten dozen minnows. I recommend at least that many if the bite is good. I like the emerald shiners for the bobber rods, they never stop swimming. For your jigging rod, definetly glow red buckshot or gold buckshot will also produce fish. (Emphasis on GLOW RED!) Don't worry about getting out too early in the am, good fishing starts around 8 or 9am and continues throughout the day in 32-34 FOW. You'll have a blast! Take pics and good luck! P.S. If you take sleds and portables... Pack everything tightly in you sled. Have a cooler or hard sided box for food and beverages. We had one can of pop for my brother and I after our auger mangled teh other cans. All of our sandwiches got soaked with pop and gas. Long day of fishing!

thanks guys for the info. that will pump up the troops. i take it if you go on your own you cannot drive a truck that far. Will wheelers make it? We're going with wigwam and will have plenty of domestic and home brew flavors to keep us hydrated.

So you are talking fishing deep water (30+ ft). What depths do the "reefs" top out at?

thanks

When talking about the "REEFS" are we up as far as Knight Island and Bridge Island? Or closer to the "Twelve footer"? No truck travel I take it. A group of us will be up there in early March an using portables out of a 4wd truck and looking for our best options!

Only been to the reefs once but I definetly think it a snowmobile only trip. Maybe a fourwheeler whould make it but it would take you a long time to get there. Sleds are nice mostly because the snowmobile trail near the boarder will take you to the general area.

long ride for a four wheeler, snow machine would be the way to go for sure much faster trip. all depends on snow cover on the lake I guess.

Hey - thanks for the info.. Like Sconasotan said, reports like that really seem to pump up our troops.... although we usually drink more beer than catch fish, but its nice to tell ourselves we are going up there for the fishing.. one of these years we are going to hit it just right... \:\)

I was looking on my navionics chip, and it looks like bridges reef comes out of 30 plus feet of water, and tops out in the low 20's... do most guys fish on top, bottom, or transition? also, do those emerald shinners, or other larger minnows seem to consistantly outfish the crappie minnow sized fatheads that the resort supplies you with? (I would assume so???? I assume they are worth the extra money???... yes/no????)

Any other reports on what to "normally expect" would be great, its nice to hear of others doing well...

Whittsend