Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hoggs222

Pokegama?

19 posts in this topic

How is everyone doing on Pokegama in Pine City? I'm gonna try for some crappie/sunnies. I'm heading up there tomorrow for the weekend. Finally, My 1st time on the ice this year!

Hoggs,

You fish this lake often?

The inlaws have a place on the north side, but i never make it up there to fish it. Is it a worth while place to bring the boat to or ice fish? I know there is a river that goes thru it, but never ice fished it.

I've actually only fished it a few times. We usually party up there. We can catch some decent cats, some walleye in my buddys bay. Other than that, we're at Muffys or pontooning. I hear there's some decent crappie & sunnies in there though.

Fished it a bit before... I like to go out from the middle east side. There is a dead end road that you can get on the lake from, and go just to the north a little. Deeper for crappies. Silly thing about this lake, I had alot of finiky little crapps not bitting (and I mean more than once this happened) so I used a live minnow and a jig+waxy on line 2, both just below the ice where I got an occasional flash. Got some lonely roaming crapps to come in, and they bit hard. They were all keepers too. 10 and 11". All others I ever caught in there were too small. (7-8). Let me know.... haven't been there in last 2 years.

I went out on the lake Thurs 20 and Fri 21......lots of black and white crappies with the occasional walleye.....nothing really big but managed a limit of 9-11 inch crappies.....nice lake day bite there was a truck that was driving out from the south access but that is crazy as we had maybe 10 inches of ice...good luck

Just a heads up- I got a report that a guy fell through on foot. 8" of ice where he was set up, walked a bit and fell through on an inch of ice. Daggone snow.........

I just got back. Man that lake is a mess. 10" of slush here and there. I thought my buddy was going through.

There were people driving trucks around. Not for me.

We managed small crappie and a 9" walleye. That lake has plenty of small walleye from what I hear.

Where about did he go through? We were fishing off of Muffys point and it was OK. Lots of slush in the bay behind Muffys and to the left of there though.

from what I was told it was on the east side, across from Muffy's

Surprised that more people didn't post - Pokegama is doing well for crappie and sunfish anywhere around the lake - fish around 20 feet of water. There is ton of people on the lake, but you don't need to follow them to catch fish - the fish comes in waves.

Is this lake drivable with a midsized pickup????

It's drivable with a full sized, If you stick to the common roads. I wouldn't be cutiing cross country quite yet though. There was 18 inches of good ice where we where at last weekend.

People are driving full size trucks out, but I would stick with west side of the lake or drive on the roads that people are using on the east side. Spot I was on had 12" of good ice on it.

I was all over the lake on Saturday and didn't see 18 inches anywhere. 11 or 12 would be a better estimation. Full size trucks were everywhere, but I took the wheeler. I would have drove someone elses truck though. grin.gif

How was the fishing?

Thanks, guys! I'll giver a shot!

Any recent reports?

Where do you access the lake? Aren't both access' by the river inlet outlets?

The south access is right off cty rd 7 in the southwest corner of the lake. The outlet to the snake river is in the southeast corner. So you'll be nice and safe driving out.