Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tipup101

Where to look midday!

4 posts in this topic

Where do you guys look for midday panfish. I was told always look deep. But I see so many guys pounding the 10-12 ftw. When I scope around thoose areas I never see fish or catch any. Mabey one once and awhile. Ive seem to have some luck at 20-25 ftw. I've caught alot on mazaska and french in 40 ftw. I guess what i'm asking is where do you guys look.

Many times I will fish over a muddy bottom area next to a deeper hole. Yes, there are days where I may punch 15-30 holes but, usually one can find some fish if they keep searching. Today I was out on the lake and the first 9 holes gave me not a fish. Then we moved and fished the same depth but on a different location on this flat. Crappies and sunnies were there but were very finicky.

I would tell one to just keep moving around the area until you locate a active pod of fish. I personally like to fish a muddy bottom flat area as this usually produces.

Typically, I will fish a depth of 7-15 fow for those pannies on a flat area. Now, if you can find some wood or green weeds, all the better.

4 french its almost always deep, 25-52ft, but they're small, so if I were you I'd just change lakes for a while. I'm thinking about changing my display name... grin.gif The fish I found mid-day 2day were in 10-15ft. on a mud to boulder transition, they tended, like harvey said, 2 be on the softer bottom. I punched 30+ holes also, & only 2 produced anything crazy.gif Just stay mobile & keep looking, & 4sure bring a positive attitude, it makes searching & coming up empty handed, not so hard 2 take wink.gif

In this order, all in 5 - 20' of water:

1. Cover

2. Steep Breaks

3. Transition Areas

4. Stained Water

5. Flats