• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

3hp 10" Jiffy Legend ice auger

Mossy19

Question

I need some help. The auger is about 3 years old. It starts fine and it idles fine, but when I run it at full throttle when drilling holes it will run for about 10 seconds and then will bog down and shut off. It takes me about 15 minutes to drill 4 holes when I am fishing with some one. Does anyone have any suggestions on what the problem is? I am currently running some Sea Foam through it, because I thought maybe the carb is a little clogged, but it still does it. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thank you.

7 answers to this question

Sounds like a stuck check valve,the valve that controls fuel intake into the bowl,sounds like its not lettin enough fuel through,could be float also.

How do I check if it is a stuck valve or a float? I am not very mechanically inclined, but I know somethings. I just need a place to start to look.

Are you opening up the little pin valve on the gas cap? If it is closed it will bog down and die like your describing.

You have messed up carb. First I would go get the square diaprams about 3-4 buck. Take the 4 screws off the bottom of the carb under this cover you will find the diapram and gasket that you have in your replacement package. Pay attention to how the are install so you can put it back together proper. Then you will see a little silver hex head deal. This is where the needle is at. You can take the hex part off there will be a spring and needle under it don't loose parts. clean all this up and spray some carb cleaner into the seat hole make sure it is coming out the other end. I think there will be a small tube you have to take off. Then put it all back together. If it still is given you problem there is some gum in the needles and that is easy to clean too. first off take the red limiter caps off of the carb. Thread the screws all the way in till they bottem out. Remember how many turns it took as you will need to have it back here when you are finised. take the needles out and clean everything really well with carb cleaner. Then put the needles back in turn them till they bottom out and then back them off how ever many turns you screwed them in origninal typically it is around 1 1/2 turns. You might have some small adjustments to make out on the ice when you have it under a load. Hopefully this helps you out.

The only thing that I would add is, when you get it running after the cleaning, support one side and hold the other up so that the auger is off the ground. Run it at wide open throttle and adjust the high speed adjustment until it screams at the highest RPM. Then turn it out (counter clockwise) slightly until it runs a bit rough. You will notice the difference. The high speed adjustment screw is the one fartherst from the engine. The one closest is the low speed or idle mixture screw. The reason I say to get it running a bit on the rough side is that when you do take it out and start drilling a hole, it will clean right up and run smooth with out being too lean.

Mine did the same thing. Just needed to adjust the high speed mixture screw.

There should be two screws on the side of the carb. I think the one that is most recessed is the high speed. Turn it in 1/8th turn and try it again.

If it dies when you go to wide open throttle its to lean. If it bogs its to rich. With a little trial and error I was able to find the spot in the middle where it maintained good power while cutting.