• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Well I headed out to the lake just to the southwest of Pig's Eye and drilled about 50 holes total checking depths. I found anywhere from 3-24 feet. Jigged small panfish jigs and fatheads and crappie minnows and ended up with nothing. I didn't even mark a single fish on my vex. I did find out that the water is clear enough to use a camera there. Didn't use it much though. Ice depths varied greatly from 4 inches to 30 inches. Sure was a long hike for no fish!!

GE

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GoggleEye

• CrappieFshr651

• kingspade651

• hovermn

Ive looked at a map I cant figure out where you were fishing. Was it the the backwater area off the main river channel?

The real, little pigs eye is just a shallow mud hole filled with carp.

Well seeing how I am so confused about where little pig's eye is and what the regs are, I don't know what lake or area I was fishing either!!! I was fishing the little "widening area off the southwest of pig's eye lake. I think it is just considered a backwater area of the river. I walked from red rock road, across pig's eye lake, into the narrow channel on the south west area of pig's eye and then it starts to widen out and you will see a bunch of big iron pipes sticking out of the water. There is a big point that comes out into this widening area and then around the point you can see the river. I fished all over and even went out by the open water and fished by the river. I am going to try it again later in March if the ice is still there. I will be taking my boat to this area to check it out in the spring also. There are some nice depths back in there.

GE

It sounds like you found the spot to me ive fished there with a buddy who has lived in st.paul his whole life Hes a real river rat.We have caught some really nice fish in there over the years.Back in the day we never saw anyone fishing back there in the winter.Now it's well known.Wow you went out by the river hmm that could be dangerous. eek.gif

Nvm it doesnt say pigs eye, but its the very small lake on the southwest side of pigs eye with a stream connecting them

Hard to tell if theres even a way back there without having to walk far

Yep goggleeye you found the spot. and yes you walk or wait until the ice is gone and go in by boat.That map shows it clearly the narrow channel on the southwest corner goes right into the deep hole.

I drove back there this summer to fish the channel. There were fences all up the road on redrock and trucks hauling like crazy. Where in the world did you park? I thought I would be able to drive straight down the redrock road to the end, but it seems to hit the entrance of a plant.... with a big gate.... and then I don't know what?

I was finally saying forget it and I was gonna put in my kayak on the down river put in and just paddle up.

Any ideas on how I can drive up to the darn area?

Sorry to hear you punched fifty holes with no fish to show for it. I don't care who you are or with what equipment.... that's alot of work!

Thanks for reporting. That's a tough walk for no fish! I was really hoping you'd report that the hole was filled with carp/redhorse/cats. I thought for sure it would be a good winter hold for them. Or even some white bass. I never would have guess nothing. Hope you have better luck the next time you try it.

Every time I try to get back to that spot in the summer, the waters too low and I get stuck in the sand trying. Make sure to try it when the waters up.

yeah, I tried it about 1 month ago with similar results -- drilled lots of holes, and no fish. the walk from Red Rock was fun, however. the ice was thick then, but i bet it will be getting much thinner very soon. i may try it again, maybe towards evening. if it is that clear, then the 'eyes might not start chomping until sundown.

Ya, there is really no way to get back in there without walking far unless it is open water and you take a boat, and yes the water is very shallow at the mouth of the channel where it hits the river so you will need high water or a small shallow boat. Every hole I drilled at the river mouth was 2 feet or less of water, but I know my boat can get in there with a little pursuasion. As far as the not catching thing, I think I know what is up with that area right now. One of the holes I drilled had a bunch of dead rotting minnows come up the hole, which I didn't think much of at first but now I realize that there may be low oxygen levels in there right now. I am sure once the ice comes off the oxygen will return and so will the fish. I know I said I was close to the river (very close actually), but I wouldn't recommend doing that, especially now! I was drilling holes every foot or so checking ice depths and water depths, so I was extremely careful, but I don't want anybody to go out there thinking it is safe because I did it and then fall through and die! I probably shouldn't have gone as close to the river as i did, especially alone. Like I said earlier, I drilled a lot of holes and found no fish, but I did find depths up to 23 feet. Does anybody fish pig's Eye (the main lake) or is it too shallow and mucky?? Can anyone clear up the regs in the "unnamed" portion I fished. I am assuming you can not keep anything and that it is open all year just like the river. I would think they consider it a river backwater area, but who knows.

GE

• 4 weeks later...

anyone fishing this strech of river from 494 to pigs eye looking to test out new water today and to stay away from the crods at redwing for awhile.

Most people are fishing farther up river by the dam and Hwy 5 bridge. Let us know if you make it out with any success by the 494 bridge and pig's eye. I would imagine you could find some nice rocky areas where the big girls may be establishing some spawning grounds, but maybe I am completely wrong too! It's woth a shot. Good luck.

GE