Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brent_jess

Ice conditions in Grand Marais area

7 posts in this topic

Ok, since the Ely area lakes are not looking good as of right now... Does anyone know about any lakes in the Grand Marais area? Musquash and Muckwa in particular...

Thanks for all the help!!

I doubt anyone has been to those lakes to give a report since they don't open for a couple of weeks yet. I will most likely be up that way this weekend. I won't make it into any of the lakes I like to fish because of the bad conditions. We'll most likely fish one of the BWCA lakes right off the trail along with everyone else.

i've ridden across musquash so i couldn't tell you how much ice, but theres LOTS of slush.

Headed up this weekend. Will probably try Pike, and caribou lakes. Will post when I get back

I just got back from fishing Duncan for Lake Trout this weekend. The slush wasn't as bad as I was thinking, but Moss had some really slushy spots (1+ feet). As for ice-thickness I experienced anywhere from 4-8 inches. Talked to staff at Trail Center and they said 8 inches was pretty normal for ice thickness.

Hit Pike lake, Carbou and Elbow lakes. For the most part, awefull ice conditions. Found that the wind blown ( east side ) was the worst for slush. Pretty concident through the lakes was - 2 inches crust, 8 to 10 inches of slush, then 6 to 8 of just ok ice. !!! The middles of the lakes where a bit better, with next to no slush and about 10 inches of just ok ice. travel with a wheeler was very tough and scary at times. I actually went through a few feet from shore a couple of times, some shore areas had no ice under the snow and slush!!!

The fishing was very slow !!!!!!!!!!!!

Be smart - be safe

Thanks for the info, we are gonna stick it out another couple of weeks and then head, out hopefully things get better. I can't stand waiting much longer!

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• White-tips
      Thank you very much Outy22! 
    • TNtoMN_HuntFish
      In no way am I trying to fire up a catch and release vs catch and grease fight.  Admins, please delete any comments like that. I am curious about everyone's thoughts and knowledge on mercury in fish.    It seems Walleye are always the riskiest fish to eat via DNR and MDH surveys but I know the fishing for eyes is such a tradition up here. A lot of walleye are eaten in Minnesota every year as well as Pike and Bass which also can be high in mercury because they are high on the food chain. Does anyone worry about it or is this something that is overhyped? I'm a bit careful where I fish because my wife is pregant and I don't want her eating too much mercury. I'm still kinda new to the state so I trust the knowledge of locals more so than DNR in a lot of situations.    For example, in TN (where I moved from) our DNR says do not eat ANY fish from the Mississippi river. I'd say it's pretty nasty by the time it gets that far south but there are river rats as far down as Louisiana eating catfish and bass all year long and you don't hear of them dying from mercury poisoning or having other effects of it. At least not thay I've heard or read.    I'm very curious to know your opinions on the matter. I don't catch many walleye anyway but I do love eating Pike and other fish. It's so satisfying to work hard for a fresh meal but do I have to continue to be super cautious of what lakes I eat a Pike from? Seems like the closer to the metro, the more dangerous it can be...or is it? Some of the huge lakes up North are full of mercury too. 
    • Mossy19
      Well it end up being 2 broken live well pumps being broken.  The pumps would pump water into the live wells but also be spraying water into the back compartment of the boat.  That's where my water was coming from.  I would like to thank those that replied suggestions back.
    • HugeHogChaser
    • BringAnExtension
    • h8go4s
      This one? http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/lake.html?id=31065300   Everything you need to know, paid for by your tax dollars.
    • Juan Grande
      What's the flow like on the Rum, Moose?
    • Avid Angler
      Hi guys and gals,   Does anyone know much about this lake? I don't fish this area of the state. We are looking to stay at Cedar Point Resort for a week. Just want to get to know the lake for what it is.   Is it a bass, northern, pan fish or walleye lake? Or all of the above? The surveys don't look that impressive.   Any good guides in the area?   Thanks.   Avid
    • portageguy
      The bite is on in Trout lake. Remote lake walleye fishing has been good. A leech or crawler has  been producing nice fish. This last week Trout lake has been good for lake trout, walleye and bass. A camper had caught and released a 44 inch pike. Bass fishermen reported 100 fish days.   The Y-store is looking into taking on BWCA permits. Please encourage and support them to do so. 
    • delcecchi
      On many lakes it is possible to rent a boat for a reasonable price.  Or to hire a guide who knows the area and the lakes.