• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Peltier/Centerville question

I've never fished either lake so I took a drive today to try and locate access to them. I found a access at the fishing pier at peltier. Do you have to walk out aways to get to decent depths? How deep do people usually fish out there? As for centerville all I found was waterworks.....is it a long hike to get to decent water from there or is there a better access?

I was out on Peltier straight out from the pierre on Wed. night and did well with the crappies and sunfish. They really slowed down after dark. Only fishing in about 10-12 FOW. JUst walk towards the point on the w side of the lake, its an easy walk. There was 10-14 inches of ice.

How would you access centerville? Do you have to go thru the county park? If so, is there a charge. From waterworks, is it legal to access out from there too. Any info would help. Thanks.

My best crappie success is on the EAST side of Peltier. You'll see tons of guys there too though. You can access it from OLD MILL ROAD on the EAST side. Might need to look at a map book to see how to get there from 14, but you can. Straight out, and stop. easy. Larger crappies (most lakes) tend to come in a little above those bottom clinching small crappies, but not all the time. I also will usually try jigging a glow color right below the ice. I mean like 5-8 feet down. You won't read fish there, but they can come around once you start, and they are always big.

fishkaholic -

Not sure but I think your refering to Centerville Lake. Peltier is across the street.

I'm referring to centerville. How do someone get access? Peltier is no problem. Always wanted to try it but don't know how to get in.

DSC00473.jpg

This was early ice. It typically gets a little slower later season. Anyone drive out on this guy yet?

I think there are areas you can park along 14 on the northeast side and walk on there. You can also use the public access in the park. You may need a park sticker, but I couldn't tell you where to get one and I've never seen anyone in the booth in the winter. I walked on near the Water Works years ago, but I'm not sure what the situation is there anymore.

You access Centerville through the Anoka County Park. There is a nominal daily fee. I am not sure what it is. Call the ANoka COunty Park Board (In the Phone Book) to see what the daily charge is. I live in Anoka County so I buy the yearly fee for $25.00. Centerville can be hard fishing but when you find them the crappies can be hot. The trick (of course) is to find them. It also has a few Walleyes.

You might also think about the lake the creek runs into (Not sure of its name) from Peltier. It contains lots of big Northerns and Crappies. Funny, I don't ever recall seeing anyone fish it? Does anyone know if the County closes that lake for some odd reason? Is it a breeding lake only or something?

Anyway, buy one of those map books for the Eastern Metro listing all of the lakes in the East Metro area. They are only about $20.00. Some of the info is a bit dated though but it is still a good thing to have.

Ok so I tryed the east side of peltier today (first time fishing the lake) in about 14 FOW and i've never marked so many fish on the marcum without catching a single one. I tryed everything in the tackle box and bait bucket....I was there from about 8-11am. Maybe they were so small they couldn't take the bait?? wrong time of day??

Like I said crappies are typically harder to catch later in the season at Peltier. More then likey, the marks were picky hotdog perch. We'll based off how many times I've fished that lake, Thats what I can conclude.

I spent a couple hours out on Peltier this morning before backing up and heading to Chisago, and to be honest I was not impressed. I talked to a couple people out there and got the "you should have been here last week" story and maybe thats true, but I got nuthin' but dink sunfish and crappie. I'll have to give it another try, but I think this might be an early/late ice hot spot.

Quote:

Ok so I tryed the east side of peltier today (first time fishing the lake) in about 14 FOW and i've never marked so many fish on the marcum without catching a single one. I tryed everything in the tackle box and bait bucket....I was there from about 8-11am. Maybe they were so small they couldn't take the bait?? wrong time of day??

i think its wrong time of the day. i notice i had done really good on crappies from 330-dark. few nice than avg sizes 9-11" and one reach a hair from 12". all on plastics.

mayb downsize jigs wld help u catch more .

I live near both lakes. Permanent on one for 2 weeks now. If you want to catchem use a spring bobber. smirk.gif As the season progresses with more pressure,you need to be out there at different times then normal. wink.gif If you catch a crappie bigger then 9.75",you are doing better then 99% of the other fishermen. I've fished these lakes for 23 years.

I'll second that comment RonZych...a spring bobber and a vexilar will make or break a trip to Peltier. I was out about two weeks ago because a friend said he caught nearly 50 sunnies and crappies. Sat in the same spot the next day as he did and caught two. Come to find out he used a spring bobber and a vexilar.

Any recent fishing reports from Peltier? A couple friends of mine are looking for a lake in that area to fish. Thanks! Happy Friday!

I don't use a spring bobber, but the tips of my panfish rods are extremely sensitive. I did notice that most of the crappies I caught the bite was actually indicated by my rod tip lifting up rather than down. Super light biters.

When I was out in Mid-December a couple of guys had tip-ups out. One of them actually got a fish. It looked to me to be a northern and it looked like it was ok size but not record breaking. This was from a distance.

As far as the crappie bite, we caught one with a pole that had an ice buster bobber on it. The bobber was completely on its side when the fish hit. 10" crappie. I've fished Red Lake for the past 4 years and same story there. You can tell a crappie when the bobber or pole tip comes up. Get's me all giddy!