Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SFBOY

HOME PAGE ARTICLES

9 posts in this topic

I just got finished reading the panfish article on the front page. Honestly, I appreciate the information but find them humorous. The articles always sound like they were written by a NASCAR driver being interviewed. For instance:

'I always like to drill lots of holes, with my Lazer Mag 8" auger, and always use extra sharp blades that I get sharpened by Jimmy's sharpening service, and make sure the auger is tuned every year by Frank's small motors in New Brighton. After I drill lots of holes with my Lazer Mag 8" auger, I jump around from hole to hole with my St. Croix rods with a Frabill spring bobber spooled with 2 pound Berkely ice line. Then I tie a Genz bug in the comfort of my Eskimo 3 man shelter warmed by my Mr. Heater with a 16 oz bottle of Coleman propane. I like to set a Beaver Dam tip up outside of the shack. It is always a great idea to wear my Cabelas Guide wear when doing this to keep dry and warm. When the fish arent biting there it is easy to get around to different spots on my Honda Foreman 4 wheeler. When I find that spot and catch a few nice panfish for the fry pan, there is nothing like filleting them with my Rapala fillet knife and frying them up in Shore Lunch batter in a Calphalon pan.'

tongue.gif

It is kinda funny you mention that. I just went and read through the one you were talking about and it certainly does sound NASCAR-ish. But what can you say, all the products mentioned work as stated, and there are others that work as well. I will back certain products and even helped inadvertantly sell products a couple weeks ago just talking with the designer at a booth. Maybe he has a bunch of people sponsoring him and part of his deal is pumping products. I wouldn't mind a gig like that.

LOLs, it does, but thats advertising in the modern world for you!!!

He did not say it while drinking a Coke with the label facing the camera. Maybe next time.

And that is why you don't have to pay to read the article.

But yeah, it's kinda funny. It's like watching a deer hunting show. "Couldn't have done it without my (insert product here)."

I see this being done for 2 reasons, number one is there are sponserships for the website. That being said, Strikemaster is not a sponser and neither is St. Croix rods.

The other thing is that every time someone writes an article like that, everyone asks, what did you use and how did you use it. So, those who write those articles frequently have learned to mention their setup and their style of fishing to be informative.

Sponsors are a necessary evil. They make great sites like this free to everyone. Some sites (are there any other? grin.gif) ask member to chip in or you can buy your way to admin powers.

Our site is highly regarded and is kept running by the great sponsors who advertise here. Many of them offering deals to FM members to see if their advertising is paying off.

i get the sponsership and advertising making this website possible and that's great. (as a side note, FM should really get strikemaster and st. croix on board, they make great stuff.) i just thought it was funny that some of the articles i have read sound like the ice fishing version of a written transcript of a post race nascar interview.

maybe people always ask about what were you using. however, in the past when my buddies have told me they did well on a body of water for pannies, walleyes, etc., i can't remember saying... "wow, that's great. what brand of auger were you using to catch them."

i guess its easier to poke fun at when you dont have a financial stake in it. cool.gif

I agree (typing this on a Dell keyboard connected to an Intel based home built computer) that sponsorship is necessary (using Google spell check and reading on a pro view monitor that I bought from Circuit City), but sometimes it can get a bit ridiculous. =P

This post was made possible by Frontier Online, they are the only ones that I'd get DSL from. Wait, they are the only ones I can get DSL from.

I do like to reference to Nascar. I see that as being the definition of ridiculous.