Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
phish_dude

Sturgeon on the Louis

6 posts in this topic

Has anyone else here caught any big sharks on the river this year? I caught 2 over 40" in the past week. I was fishing to catch sum eyes but still had fun fighting those things for over an hour on my ultra light!

I've got a few of em this year. They're a lot of fun on light tackle, a little tricky landing them through an 8 in hole. Biggest I got was 44 inches.

What baits have you guys been catching the Sturgeon on? Still haven't hooked one in my life....hope to soon though. What area of the river, if you don't mind me asking?

Granny

Remember these are protected and are not kept. Actually not even suposed to take them out and take pics but thats another story I wont go into.

Granny I have caught them on anything from a bare hook and minnow to a jigging rap. If its sitting there and near the bottom they will suck it in.

I caught a couple decent ones this year. Raw power. Fun to catch but a waste of good walleye/poutin time. grin.gif

I was fishing boyscout and up from there a ways and caught some big sturgeon and a few smaller eyes. I was jigging a rattle glow spoon and hitting the bottem with it every now and then with a full minnow. Of course you can't keep them, but for me, it is hard to beat the rush of catching a fish that big on a pole that small. I would show the pictures, but I would'nt want to get in any trouble. grin.gif

The bigger ones were always caught between 3:00-4:30pm

P

My son caught one this summer. Small. No were near the numbers you seem to see on the Rainy