Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike Stark

Birch Lake

11 posts in this topic

anyone been doing any good on birch???

mike

Tough to get around - pretty good slush pockets. Spent about three hours out there today with my son and son-in-law. We got three jumbo perch, one slimer in the slot we had to release (almost exactly 30 inches) and one that we couldn't quite stretch to 24' so kept for some moiakka. Talked to three others who had some snake action but that was it. Also talked to a guy coming off the lake on Sunday who had skiied out looking for crappies but didn't have any luck. All on the west end of the lake. Talked to Theresa at "Just Bite Me" and she said weren't many going out because of travel conditions. frown.gif

Anything happening over on your end of the lake?

It's mojakka!!! mad.gif

What kind of Finnlander are you??

JustinG thinks you're a Bohunk!! smirk.gif

I'm inclined to agree with him! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Oops! Finger slip. blush.gif Sometimes a little of the western Finn sneaks out. smirk.gif

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Hey Ken,

Are they starting to stake the snowmobile trail out on Birch Lake yet?? I see the Igloo's were out staking on Shagawa yesterday. I still think it is a little early yet to be staking trails across lakes! There should be good travel out on Birch once the snowmobile trail is marked and gets frozen down. How much ice is out there?? I really want to get out there soon! Keep us updated!

Thanks,

Justin

As of yesterday I hadn't seen any stakes yet. There have been a few going down the middle of the lake, but not nearly as many as I've seen in the past. My wife is very anxious to get out on the machines, so will be checking quite often. will pass on what I find out.

Checked the beach access for stakes today, and still nothing out from there. Have been a few machines going onto the lake, but slush in most of the tracks. frown.gif

Quote:

It's mojakka!!!
mad.gif

Is that Finn for "stinky fish soup"? grin.gif

You got it!! tongue.gif

We made our yearly trek up there and fished hard Wednesday and Thursday. Wednesday was VERY slow but we did manage one 7 pounder (northern). Thursday was a little better with a few small ones and a 10 pounder thrown in for good measure.

Finn--I think that we were fishing near you guys on Wednesday right? What are those piles of snow with sticks sticking out of them towards the mouth of the river?

I was absolutely amazed at the condition of the ice. It looked like late March or April ice...yellowish in color.

Anyway....good luck to you guys.

Those sticks mark holes that other people have left so that you don't accidently step into one of 'em. Sometimes people will use "hangers", fishing line hung from sticks like that, but haven't seen them used in awhile.

Yes, I guess that was probably us next to you the other day. Probably should have gotten together for a cup of java. Glad to see you were able to get out! smile.gif