• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tonka Walts

Is the walleye bite on Tonka always a 10 minuete bite. Seems you can always pick up 3 walts a night on Tonka. Some big and some not so big but is there ever all night action or at least a winow bigger then 6 minuetes here. In the 60s and even in the late 90s the walleyes were huge and often. 4 hour bites every night of the week.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EBass

• Where's Walter?

• lucy1205

• TR0PHYPHISHIN

I fish the lake often and i have found that sun down is good for about 20 minutes and it dosent really pick up again until about 10-midnight.

Do you usually move from the first spot or just hang with it. I know theres some nice walleyes there but like most metro lakes the fishing can be tough.

where do you guys fish on tonka? i have been out there plenty of times in the summer for muskie, but i have never made it out for the ice so i just need a starting area.

lucy1205 - you're doing pretty well at 3 walts in 10 minutes. This year, my average is 2 per night!

I agree with Trophy...the bite is short. They are so well fed on tonka. IMO a walter caught on tonka over 25" is about 1 pound heavier than the same length fish from other lakes (like Mille Lacs or the St. Louis River for sure).

I'm still trying to find "THE SPOT" that has multi-species to keep me entertained with crappie, etc. while waiting for the elusive bite window. I have a few with 4" not-so-entertaining perch!

I caught 5 walters last Sat and 3 on Sunday. The dusk flury is always fun for that 15 mins window, after that it's one here one there. However, a lil tip from uncle EBass once that dusk bite slows, fish the weedline 19-20 feet for the rest of the night.

I was out in 26 feet and caught the 3 in the flury and 2 more straglers later on like between 6-7 at night. Then nada while my buddy was on the weedline still getting them into the night and we left a bit after 8. (got there at noon - long day)

Thus next time I'm going to be deep then move up on that weedline. Set lines and spoons were working - each fish wanted something different though.

Good luck - be safe - ice ranged from 6-11" this was before the snow we just got.

Ebass,

Did your buddy have any luck on the weedline during the "flurry" or was it just out deeper where you were? I've had some luck this year in 18ft, but nothing deeper than that.

Not so much during the flurry, but after that - it's like they were on their way to the weedline.

I'm new to tonka, did a few hours of driving around the lake as a get away from my inlaws over x-mas, where do folks access the lake?

There are numerous access points:

1. MNDNR accesses

2. There are a few accesses on Cty 15 that are only used in the winter. One is right on Brown's Bay when you first see the lake, there's another just west of the marina called Sailor's World - watch the ice near their docks!

I never really get out walleye fishing and i was wondering what kind of structure you guys look for when fishing for walleyes on minnetonka?

I look for a deep basin that's close to a mid-lake hump, underwater bar, or points. Then I want a hard bottom like sand and rock mix, next to milfoil. Even then there has to be some type of bait like small perch, crappies, and sunnies around. I found ONE consistent eye spot similar to above. I need to find more, I know. Otherwise, just find a weedline at dusk. I do think the weedline is a highway for eyes at night. Prolly for pike during the day, but I haven't caught a pike yet this ice season.

I forgot to note that I went on top of weeds in 18 feet past dusk and didn't mark one while my buddy on weedline was and he was 20 feet away.

Side note: Not many people were out this past weekend. (Holiday?) This snow isn't helping the foot travel or making ice. And the ice thickness varies a lot. It's crazy this year. Sorry I just can't stress that enough. No driving trucks, yet.

Now remember - this is coming from a bass guy tongue.gif

I have had some luck with waldos everytime out this year! 1 to 4 a night. 17-20 inches. I found a 20 foot hole surrounded by structure. Catching 6-10 crappies every night also out of the same hole! Unfortuneatly the Shanty Village is coming out and the permanents will take over my area soon....that's ok, I need to explore more anyway...that spot has spoiled me a little wink.gif

thanks guys, im not very familiar with tonka but i'm gonna give it a try tonight. I'll report back how i do.

I can usually get at least three a night. The real question is the size, more often then not there just 7 inchers. Sometimes the bite is so quick you fumble more fish then you catch. With a little luck you might ice some 16-18 inchers and an occasional 20 somthing. I have found that you can catch walleye almost anywhere on Tonka but consistentcy is a big problem for me. Last week I was fishing in 14 feet of water on the inside of a mid lake hump that is about 30 feet of water on the other side. 14 feet with weeds is pretty shallow to be walleye fishing for me but I acctually caught a 25 incher, 18 incher, and a 16 incher. I also missed two more decent fish. I discovered these fish while fishin for crappie last week. Im goin out there possibly tomorrow night and saterday night. Like I said consistency is a big issue on Tonka so I wouldent be surprised to get skunked but its worth a try. The crappies were there but I dident move around enough to find the Main Line. The ones I did catch were small but they were lingerin in the area.

Does anybody catch ice walleyes during the day on Tonka? I suppose go deep? I'm working only half a day today and want to do some exploring. With low light all day along with a weather system to the south might be good! Any suggestions on catching daytime waldos appreciated!

Not me. Latest is 9AM, earliest is 3:30PM! But yes, deep would be the place to go. As I have found out with my new camera, its REALLY dark down there. So dark, the camera will likely stay at home next trip!

GOOD LUCK TODAY!!

have caught them during the day at quite a few places. Seems to be the deeper u go the earlier they hit, sometimes 24 hrs a day. also i have found the deeper u go the smaller the average size no matter which part of the lake.

lots of 13" in 40 fow

No Luck! After a long walk out we set up on a point that broke off into deeper water. We were set up in 17 fow and marked fish in the hole right away. After we set up it was already getting dark and i lost one fish on a waxworm just checking to see if anything was down there. After that, we didn't graph a fish the rest of the night. It was still a fun night and definetly a learning experience.

Bassboy....here is my email address: [email protected]

If you email me...i will give you a spot to put you on walleyes and crappies. I went to a different spot last night and caught crappies non-stop for 3 hours.....no kidding!

I never had much luck during the day. Always right at sunset. Yesterday was nailing perch til the sun went down and then slammed the walleye shut down about 7. Great day to be out yesterday in 19fow.

Thats the norm but I bet if you really checked your watch a little closer them walts were done by 6 or 6:30 for sure. Then again who am I to say.

I have been fishing 16-18 fow and have been getting some walleyes. We have been getting about 2-4 eyes a night. We have done good on size in 16-18fow. Last night we decided to start out in 25-30fow and as soon as it was dark we moved back to 17 fow. Starting out deeper and moving back to the weedline was very effective and I will continue to do this.

What presentations are working for everyone? I have been working a jigging spoon in one hole, and in the other a dead stick with minnow, plain hook, split shots, and glow bead. Have been setting the dead stick very close to bottom. The jigging spoon has been uneffective, but have been getting good action on the dead stick.

Deep then weedline at dusk is the trick. Well for eaters.

I have a set line - ice buster bobber with a fathead or shiner in one hole then a jigging spoon in the other. I see what they want, most of the time set lines this year. I've caught 1 - 14" on a jigging spoon so far. Every time is different.

In the 28 foot spot I caught a cigar and must've broght him up too fast as the air bladder was coming out of it's throat. I felt bad and put him back ASAP and it swam to the bottom fast. (saw it on the vex) Hope it made it.

Caught 5 on Sat night - kept 3. My other buddies caught and kept some to. Funny thing - my biggest eye that night (18") hit at 8PM sharp. Everyone left the lake except us and we kept on catching them into the night. Not fast and furious, but one here one there ain't that bad for Tonka. Plus it was nice out to hole hop.

So there's more to Tonka eyes than the dusk flurry

All this talk of eyes makes me want to get out there. Im discouraged though beacuse it is such a huge lake and I have never caught a single walleye on tonka through the ice. confused.gif

Chadwick, I'm a newbie for walleyes on Minnetonka too. I've simply been going to the areas where I've read that produce walleyes, and putting in my time. I learn what I can by reading, but like most things worth doing, you've got to put in your time to learn the specifics. So far I've only caught a few walleye, but I figure that every time I go out I learn a little bit more.