• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What A Day

iffwalleyes

I wish I would have gotten this report out sooner. Last Sat. probably was just about the absolute best day on the ice I have ever had at LOW. I was planning to head to twin rock area but after a report I got in the morning and not sure of what the weather was going to do I decided to head over to Morris point for the day. They told me fish were in the mid 20's for depth. So hit the lake and found a place all by myself in 27' and got set up. I told my dad that the fish should start around 9-10. Well at 9:30 they showed up for the meeting. From 9:30-11 we caught on fish right after another. Smallest walleye kept was 14.5" and largest was 17" and a pretty nice limit of saugers. The biggest fish caught was 18". We hammered out limit out for myself and my dad within an hour and a half. It was amazing. I might have had action faster than that but never with consistent 17" fish coming up through the hole. Glow red rattlen varmit was the ticket for jigging and then the old plain gold hook was good for the deadsticks.

We decided to pull the plug and get home for Chirstmas. We ended up spending more time driving than fishing. It was really a great day on the water with my favorite fishing partner. Dad was beaming all Christmas when he was able to tell the relativies about our trip. It is always fun to get him out and see the joy he still gets from it. The only way the trip could have been better is if I would have gotten a hawg. But not everything can go perfect can it.

Well, you can be happy that you got out in the morning Saturday to fish. I brought our sleeper out to 27' at Morris Saturday morning, late. We didn't have lines down until afternoon. We were busy setting another house for a friend and really didn't expect much bite until evening. We ended Saturday with 6 keepers in the bucket. Sunday wasn't a whole lot better. I saw two cruisers come under the Vex in the afternoon, but couldn't get them to grab on. Headed home with about 20 fish caught and a limit of walleye kept for each of us 3. The weather is good again and as soon as work is over (2am Friday) I'm on my way back to the house! Morris Point is my new home for the winter!!

Jason: GREAT report!!! I can't wait until the 10th.. Glad your Dad had a great time too... Kaz

Merry Christmas Jason,

Glad to hear you smacked em. We are fishing Fri, Sat and

Sun this weekend.

Especially on the weekends I think it is important to get

out by yourself where it is quieter.

I was using both size rattlen varimits. I had best luck on the 1/4 which is what I typically use. After that run of crazyness it did slow down and the little saugers moved it then they weren't smacking near as hard so I downsized to the 1/8 and picked up a few with it but by far I did better with the larger size.

Curt our house was much like you on that last Sun when I fished with you. Catch a fish 17" into the bucket. Another another oh 14" sauger then another eye is was so much fun. Yes I agree there were lots of people around Morris but I set up probably a 1/8 of a mile from anyone nothing super fancy a slight and I mean slight inside turn on my map chip. That really does some to be the key to get away from the crowds. I started my pickup for a while and let it run and the fish quit biting. I shut the truck off and they were back on the attack. Kind of funny. Because I have seen days where after you start your truck you will pick up a few quick bites. So I have seen the other end of it as well.

Kaz I would bet the fishing will still be going really good when you are up.