Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MIKE IN lINO III

Need a new GPS w/map chip

5 posts in this topic

I tried to do a search and for some reason it won't let me pull any information, something to do with the date range. I entered 1 week.

Anywho, I am in the market for a GSP unit that will show lake maps. I've just started to research these and was wondering what everybody had and the good and bad of their unit.

Thanks,

Mike

Try searching for 1 year. The consensus is the Lowrance H2O (black and white) or H2OC (color) with a Lakemaster or Navionics chip depending on the lakes you fish.

Is it safe to assume you're talking about a hand held unit? If so, everyone I know who owns a lowrance H2O seems to love it.

I have a H2OC and I really like it. It is a nice unit and the price on it was pretty good. It isn't quite as user friendly as a Garmin but one you start using it and gain experience with it is fairly easy to use.

If you have used Garmins and like how easy they are to use you may want to check out a GPSMap 76Cx. These units will take a MicroSD card and LakeMaster sells these chips.

It would seem that with the exception of but a few such as myself, you can expect that the Lowrance H2O will be the hands-down preferred unit by those that frequent this sight. I have no experience with the H2O but I'm sure it is a very good piece of equipment.

With regard to the Garmin (my brand of choice), you don't have to move up to the cadillac (GPSMap76 series) in order to get the benefit of the card slot. All of their mapping handhelds that include the 'x' designator in their part number can accept SD data cards. For example, the eTrex...x, GPSMap...x, Rino...x. All these models will accept data cards. What I like too is that all of them are waterproof and some including the GPSMap76 will float. Nice feature when on the water or in heavy rain.

Just thought I'd throw this out there for you to consider.

Bob

Edit: A thought just occurred to me. You seem to be specific that you need to use data cards. This seems to suggest that you have or have access to specific cards that you want to use. You may want to be sure that whatever unit you buy, it is compatable with the data on the cards. That may be a defining factor in your GPS purchase.

Bob