Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Highway2Allstar

Biggest Laker report here

16 posts in this topic

Biggest laker I ever caught was in July. Was trolling up in Northbay just off cigar island. Wham 37 inches and fat well over 20 pounds probally pushed 26 pounds.

Great fish. I'm sorry, but I don't know what lake that's on.

Canadian side of Basswood, up from U.S. Point. I've caught my fair share up there, but nothing that big - maybe 12# tops.

In one afternoon this summer I tied into a 29 incher(~10lbs+), a 31 incher(~12lbs+), and another 29 incher(~10lbs+)

I was vertical jiggin w/ 3/4oz Bucktails, w/ whole ciscos. All caught out of the same hole hole w/in 3 hrs. The first 2 came w/ in a half hour of each other.

Went back to the same spot a few weeks later and caught a 25 incher and a 28 incher that I weighed and it went 9.1lbs, my buddy that fished w/ me that day also caught a 28incher.

sftcatfish northbay is on da canucker side of basswood fishing is always better up there it seems. Shade lake is where u wanna go for numbers. Even poacher lake has good numbers. If u really wanna get numbers 15 pounds+ head up to argo at ice out

finnbay,

Who did you hire as a guide when you fished North Bay??

You darn well could never find your way up and back by yourself!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Largest 2 trout have been:

1. 42.5" x 26.5" pig that was caught on a jig with sucker belly; and

2. 39.5" x 23" that was caught on a deadbait rig.

SPTRIX

I got a 19 pounder a few years ago trolling in my canoe in mid January in front of Bluebird landing. I really don't even fish lakers, so that will likely stand as my best ever, unless someone talks me into a trip to Nipigon:)

You're right, GO! Had some little French/Canadian bring me a couple of times. Took me up Canadian Agnes and down the S-Chain to come in from the north. Took me awhile to figure out that there was a shorter route! wink.gifwink.gif

18 pounder, through the ice, last February, Northern Light Lake, Ontario.

GoNorth

finnbay,

Don't know if you were in the area (even though you are an old fart) smile.gif when Rabs Kamish used to fish trout in North Bay during the summer, before the motor ban in Canada.

He used to fish off Cigar Island with his two Labs, and a big beach umbrella in his boat. He was there almost everyday.

We used to see him when we fished Center Island Reef for walleyes, back in the good old days.

Caught some nice trout also.

I've heard of him but never saw him. Guess maybe I'm not as old as some believe! grin.gif

Biggest overall was 14# caught trolling in 8' of water along park point in April several years ago. An orange/gold jointed Rap longlined did the trick.

Largest thru the ice was a 32" @12# out of a lake up near Atikokan, Ontario. A white 1/2 oz. bucktail tipped with a salted shiner out of 24' of water caught it.

Both were released to fight another day.

Someday I'd like to get up to Isle Royale and try for a really big redfin, and am planning a winter trip into Knife next year to try and best my 32" !

No big fish here. I've caught three 12-lbers in Burntside, two on ice and one in open water.

Well Steve, in my world, 12 lbs is classified as big! blush.gif I think there would be two yellow stains at the instep of my boot tracks on the ice!

Been to Dryden, Ontario before and caught lots in the group up to 16 pounds, but I was always setting the hook to hard and bending those thin aberdeens right out of their mouths. mad.gif I only caught the small ones on jigs.

So, 4 1/2 pounds from Bside last winter.

Quote:

Biggest overall was 14# caught trolling in 8' of water along park point in April several years ago. An orange/gold jointed Rap longlined did the trick.

Largest thru the ice was a 32" @12# out of a lake up near Atikokan, Ontario. A white 1/2 oz. bucktail tipped with a salted shiner out of 24' of water caught it.

Both were released to fight another day.

Someday I'd like to get up to Isle Royale and try for a really big redfin, and am planning a winter trip into Knife next year to try and best my 32" !

Stories almost similar to mine. Except the trout was 4 lbs lighter, the water was 8 feet deeper, and I was longlinging a jointed Firetiger Rapala outside Park Point in April.I use downriggers all year. I just longline the heck out of the lines early in the season.