Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
local_diver

Big Shinners

13 posts in this topic

I stopped into the baitshop in Waseca and they told me they are no longer able to get really big shinners.

Without driving to Madison Lake or buying a dozen at a time in Owatonna (and having most die before you could use them), anyone found a shop in the Waseca area that carries really big shinners and selling them a piece?

Did you stop and talk to the guy out on 13 closer to Waterville on the west side of the road white building sign out front can't remeber the name ?

Drought this summer adversely affected the amount of big shinners available this winter. Extremely hard to find 'em now. You will have to call Joe and the gang to see if they can get any in at Reel Fishing and Tackle but I have heard from other bait shops that they can not get them anymore. confused.gif

I too was wondering why the shiners were so small this year.

Tip-Up fishing is frustrating when the crappies run off with the small bait and trip the flag.

Do suckers work well for Walleyes ?

Smaller suckers may, otherwise maybe a creek chub or a large fathead.

I found really nice ones at Cabela's. The guy there told me he gets his bait from Oswald's out of Geneva. My buddy tried buying bulk earlier from Oswald's and he was told he cant get them this year. Its not because of the drought it's due to the restrictions of crossing borders. How bad is the drive from Waseca to Cabela's really??? confused.gif Also u don't need to buy a dozen he sells them at $3.49 per 6

I don't know about "big shinners" but "big shiners" can be found in Madison Lake at Reel Fishing and Tackle for a little while yet. grin.gif

Quote:

I stopped into the baitshop in Waseca and they told me they are no longer able to get really big shinners.

Without driving to Madison Lake or buying a dozen at a time in Owatonna (and having most die before you could use them), anyone found a shop in the Waseca area that carries really big shinners and selling them a piece?

Large Shiners are extremely hard to get this year. Most large shiners come from out of state and they have been found to have a disease this year. So the DNR has shut down any out of state bait. If you are found with a large shiner on your tip-up, you will not be in trouble, but they will ask you where you purchased your bait and trace it all the way back to the bait wholesaler. The fines are quite steep for the wholesaler.

We keep trying to find locally grown large shiners, but it is a struggle this year.

My suggestion is to call ahead of time to see if we have them.

Thanks for the details, I figured there must be a reason for the lack of size this year.

Hope to stop in soon !

thank-you everyone for the information.

On the posts above, driving to Owatonna isn't a big deal as I work there but driving from Owatonna to Madison Lake and then back to Waseca for a couple big shiners (see I spelled it right this time) is.

Overall, unless I go out and run a string of tip-ups, it sounds like this year is going to have to be suckers for gator fishing from the fish-house.

I stopped by Cabela's and while they get a few big shiners, they are having the same problem. Actually, what I saw in the tank were about flathead size but they were expecting a new delivery today.

New delivery today at Reel Fishing and tackle. I got some nice 4-5 inchers!

I want 7 inch shiners. use to drive all the way to indiana for Them. half pounders. The real pike Bait