Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PDOGG

Down sizing for big pike?

9 posts in this topic

Having only a few hours to fish in the middle of the day today I decided to grab my tip-ups and panfish poles and try for some pike and sunnies. I picked up some waxies and sucker minnows and shiners and headed out to the lake. After a little looking around i was able to find some active smaller fish in 6' of water and decided that would be a good spot to set out the tip-up. So I put a 3" shiner on it and set it down. A little more exploring and I found some larger panfish biting in about 13' of water. So I set the house up there and decided to fish there. Not less then a minute after setting up I got a flag ran over to it and found a 8" blue gill had completly swallowed the 3" shiner. Not what I wanted but interesting none the less. So I set the tip-up back down with a larger shiner this time and proceeded back to the fish house to catch bluegills. After a couple dozen blue gills and a couple of bass caught on my "gill pill" and waxie I noticed about 3' of the bottom come up towards my lure on my marcum which I pointed out to my buddy and all of a sudden my pole was bending in half and the fight was on. 15 minutes later I pulled up this beauty measuring in at just under 40". So from now on I think I will fish for gills with tip-ups and shiners and pike with waxies small jigs and 4lb test. [image]http://12-24-07_1507.jpg[/image]

Great story, nice fish. I would love to fight that huge pike on four pound line. Good work....BT

Beauty!

It was an awesome fight especially when we watched it do the gator death roll under the ice twice.

Thanks, T.O.

Great Looking Fish.That one would have been fun to watch him chomp on a camera.

It was so much fun it knocked my hat crooked !

You could have straightened it for the picture. grin.gif

I was still so pumped didn't realize it wasn't straight and the guy taking the picture thought it was funny so he didn't say nothing.