Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Highway2Allstar

Ice reports?

6 posts in this topic

Anyone have ice reports for burntside or snowbank.

H2A, you can find a Bside ice report on the ice report thread back on the third page, or just go here .

The big dump of snow we got yesterday won't help matters, but probably the wind kept the most open areas swept off OK.

Talked to a guy that had been all over Burntside with skis and partially with a snowmobile.

4 to 7 inches everyplace they went.

This was last week, and did not figure in this curse that Mother Nature laid on us yesterday, which may well be the final nails in the ice coffin for the year. confused.gif

Two sets of snowmobile tracks on BS river this morning looked to have a lot of water in them.

With the weather forecast up to January 7th, I would have to say the Burntside will have little to no car or truck traffic on it this year. mad.gif

Snowbank won't be much better.

Big lake also loaded with slush this morning.

IN the weather field, and what you guys need is a couple nights and days with, not the temp, but the wind chill being -30to -40. The wind make the snow/slush lose it's insulating qualties much quicker than just the temp. A -30 to -40 WC is about = to the air temp being -45 to -55 and no wind. Trust me, I have first hand kniowledge as I grew up on a lake for over 25+ years.

I'd like to agree with you, but these heavy snowfalls the last two weeks were the perfect storm for horrible ice conditions. frown.gif

We were on the road to recovery from the first 1 foot dropping, and the slush finally started to set up, but this one is bad.

I have no doubt that your scenerio would assist the ice, but our best bet (good luck) would be a warming trend with a hard half day rain, stop, then have temps plunge.

We had the rain two days ago, but it turned to snow and dumped lots, DANG IT!! mad.gif

Thanks Jim for the info, I'll see ya on the opener ehhh.