Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chunkytrout

Driving Conditions-Ely to MPLS?

8 posts in this topic

Any reports as of this morning?

I can't speak to all the local conditions, but as a plow driver for a metro suburb, the roads have been plowed, salted and scraped for the last 48hrs. Interstate and state highways are in good shape and so are county roads except in the case of bad drifting. Local roads are still snow covered, but they are melting. The temps aren't great for salt products but they are working.

I believe there is a number like 611 or 311 something like that, that you can call for road conditions. Check the phonebook or MNDOT website.

Well for the first time in 11 years, we're staying put. I talked to my work partner who said it took him 9 hours from Ely to the western burbs. This morning St. Louis Cty Sherriff is not recomending travel due to black ice and packed snow on the highway. So be it. It's a beautiful day. grin.gif

Down here (and some other places) we can call 511 for road conditions.

Sound like you better batten down the hatches. crazy.gif

Finns.

Well if you're going to be stuck somewhere, no better place than Ely in my book! grin.gif

I've been stuck in ELy before due to ice covered roads. Sometimes its better to stay put. Truth be told, we left anyway and ended up rolling the car just outside of town. I was in high school then, but the lesson still stays with me.

You might be able to make the trip tomorrow if they salt up there, but no point in rushing.

We headed from Ely to the TC on Sunday morning. Unplowed roads from Ely to Virginia, then OK roads but a lot of slippery spots from Virginia all the way through to the Cities, with a ton of vehicles in the ditches.

Snowed the whole way and the winds south of Duluth started whipping up around 40 mph. It took us 6 1/2 hours instead of 4 1/2, but we made it without incident.

Well, if a fella has to be stuck down here in the Big City over Christmas, and if he has to have a hair-raising drive to get here, at least he can detour to Rogers and stop in at Cabela's. So we did, and just got back from there. Ahhhhh, Cabela's! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Roads are now excellent in most places down here, but there still are a fair number of idiots going too fast and finding the ditches.

Was on 53 and 169 this afternoon No problems. 35 to the cities should be good. It wasnt that bad yesterday.