Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
walleyeslayer18

Walleye tactics during the day

7 posts in this topic

I was wondering what were some methods people use for catching walleyes during the day?!

I would look for deep water transitions, bottom of dropoffs, hole hoping on deep water basins, outside corners, etc. Basically it depends on the lake and amount of structure, but use what you already know and flip it. What I mean by that is, let say you set up for an evening bite you usually fish shallow points, bottle necks, anything that leads to shallow feeding areas! Now just think of where they might be coming from before they hit the shallows. Basically fish deeper holes adjacent from you shallow fishing areas and stay mobile because they more than likely will be roaming in the area!

i overlooked that thought. for walleyes i like to fish in about 18 fow a lot. i have pretty good luck at night in that depth. but like i said i overlooked that fishing deeper part. it makes sense because there trying to stay out of the light so they will be deeper! thanks for the tip!

Delta hunter gives some great advice. The only things I would add is to either chose to be mobile with a jigging spoon or something of the sort tipped with a minnow head or use tip-ups at varying depths with big baits.

TO has a great point that I forgot to mention! Fish aggresive during the day hole hoping with spoons, chubby Darters, etc. and hopefully you will run into some active fish!

So I've found some small ones during the day in 10' water and they seem to be active a little at night too. Where are the larger ones then? Deeper? I think we'll try something closer to 15' tonight and see if they are there. Good tactics in this post, thanks.

Engine,

Good to hear from you. I look forward to your report.

Probably headed for Hanska tomorrow afternoon. grin.gif