• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Minnesota River by Redwood Falls

I am new to ice fishing the river i do lots of open water fishing and have lived in the area all my life but i just dont have any luck with ice fishing the river. I am looking for any helpfull tips or locations in the area to get started with this year

i have been reading the posts left for yours to but i am wondering if the fish hold closer to spring spots or more twards fall fishing spots

I cant help ya in your area but by granitefalls,I may,I dont icefish the river but a older guy I know does or did,he is in his late 80s.right in GF on turns minnow plain,Below minn.Falls most all outside turns are deep some to 20-30 ft again plain minnow.His favorite spot was out from GraniteFalls creamery (where ever it is)2 large rocks above water level between them its 30ft.If ya try these places let me know if my info was truthful? I do believe the fellow. cool.gif

• 1 month later...

Well i cant beleive its the 15th of february and im gona hit the river for the first time this year. Fishing lakes and a snowmobile trip have kept me busy. A freind and i are gona search and try some spots between franklin and morton tomorow. Gona use snowmobiles and pull my portable. It should be interesting. Ill give a report when i get back

How was that? Im assuming the bite doesnt start till dusk as usual? Gona really give er [PoorWordUsage] these last few weeks. With the good ice and snowmobiles were gona be really versitle, so if today dont work out gona try a different spot tommorw.

I didnt get much before about 4:30 pm. It was fun though, I caught all the fish and a buddy who was ten yards away not even a bite.

good time to try it though with the ice and nice weather. i was in around a break of 13ft of water. one side of me was 20 and the other 7 ft.

its fun though

Zip. Zilch. Nada. Didnt even get a bobber down. This was a first time ice fishing this spot. Might head out today again to a new area.

• 3 weeks later...

I have hit a few spots lately but still not much luck finding where they are hiding. Day fishing is not working too well. Might head out for some night fishing Tuesday night. Had the Hovercraft out on the River below Morton the other day, ice still looks pretty good but it wont be long with that current and temps getting into the 40s next week.

Originally Posted By: icenads
What are you fishing for?

icenads ya ever try ramsey creek for trout?

Nope. The closest ive fished there is where the creek runs into the river ive caught walleye and northern there. You?

Trying to get into some Channels through the ice... It is tough to get them but I sure like trying. Cats throught the ice are very good eating and awesome smoked. The Cold water cats seem much better for some reason. The only place I have ever caught cats through the ice is up on the horse shue chain by St. Cloud. So I keep trying here to see if I can find where they are hanging out. No luck yet.

Sparcebag:::

I have heard that they have stocked that with trout but have never tried it. Are there any in there? Sure would be fun to give that a try just for something new to play with.

Never caught a channel threw the ice, never tried either but ya that would be fun

I've heard its stocked and has natural repro.Everytime I get close to fish it the river draws me away,bout 60 miles drive and somehow the river wins me over.CATS

Whiskers- Holy cr*p! Rode snowmobile to new ulm today and some guys fishin just east about quarter mile from the highway 14 bridge had a sh*tload of channels laying on the ice. Never stopped and talked to them but just seen em laying there when i rode by.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow that is crazy..should have stopped and seen what they were doing and how they were doing it.. lol.. I still have to yet find one.. one that will eat any how..

Wont be long now with the water going up like it is and all the snow will really push it up and start breaking it up...

Cant wait to hit the open water. pant pant... Might have to take the hover craft on the river soon just to see how it is looking.

WEll it wont be long at this rate.. The water is starting to run over the ice a lot down there and the river has gone up quite a bit so far. Let just hope we get some moisture to keep it up there for a while this summer.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I hit it hard today, NOTA... Not even a nibble. I tried every thing in my tackle box. I fished from 23feet deep to 5 feet deep, wood, curent, slack water and curent breaks.. wowzers.........That is not a good deal. I am starting to think I am not going to like this stretch of river over here... sigh sigh...

015105.jpg

161625.jpg

This is as close as I got to catching something in the water today lol... Darn thing would not leave me alone.. I think it wanted a ride in the boat.

172640.jpg

What ever I could get. Mostly for Cats or White Bass. Just scouting for fish in general to see where they are holding and doing a lot of sonar recon. I have a Humminbird 987C. with side imaging. That works pretty darn awesome in the river to see what the bottom looks like. A lot of times you can see depressions or rocks or stumps on the bottom with fish holding behind them or in them. I have not used it on Big flatties or Sturgeon yet and that I think will be fun to see.

Hang in there Mate!

takes time to dial them in....... once you do.... Pay Dirt..

Let the temps come up a few more degrees and you will see a big diff.

Well something let loose over here.. the river went up quite a bit and a lot of water is moving all of a sudden. Lake Redwood and the Redwood River let loose over night also and the ice is going going gone.

I have lost my book marks for finding the river level gauges site. Any one got a url for me. I had one linked to my web site but that one does not show the gauges any more so I will have to set a new one.