Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .

Flamefox    0
Flamefox

Mark and I were out on the lake , 1 fish in many hours was really dead. The only one fish was a bass 14". The ice was 14" thick when i put the ice dipper down the hole to measure it. People were driving around all over the place.

KK    0
KK

Did the marginal bite finally peter out or is it because the access is drifted in. There has been one lonely portable out there the past week. Seems to be slowly sinking into the snow

wanger29    0
wanger29

I think with that additional coverage a couple of weeks ago it slowed/shut the bite down, much the same as December had.

CrappiesNCats    0
CrappiesNCats

perch just out into the lake from the channel. nothing worth getting crazy about. have to be their very early though as the bite slows to a near stop once its light out.

not really worth the effort right now

wanger29    0
wanger29

Some of those perch are pretty nice. Too few & far between for me???

Redbeard5289    0
Redbeard5289

Hey Wanger29

Long time no see. Haven't heard from you since I left channel 6. So how's the fishing down there?

Redbeard5289

wanger29    0
wanger29

Not too bad, been kinda hit & miss. Help me out a little, were you in morn prod.? Wait a sec... Redbeard how ya been? Been a number of years. How's the fishing your way?

Redbeard5289    0
Redbeard5289

Not to bad...Been hitting the reservoirs in Rochester mostly. Even got my 4 yr old son out on the Ice at Foster Arendts twice so far and hoping to make it #3 this weekend. Not an keepers out at Fosters but good bites for the boy with 3-4 in bluegills. Hoping to try willow Creek this weekend..

Man o man, has it been a long time...I'll send you a email in the next couple of days to catch up...

Talk to ya soon

wanger29    0
wanger29

Sounds Good!

Dragon Fish ll    1
Dragon Fish ll

Just wondering if any fish are biteing down that way am coming down to Albert tommorow to work for a couple weeks. an would like to do a little fishing between fountain an Albert lea. Was down there for a couple months last summer and managed to have a little fun fishing down there. Any reports thanks.

wanger29    0
wanger29

What's the word on someone falling in down there? Sounds like he's alright and everything. Heard about it over the weekend.

The_Lee    0
The_Lee

Anyone been walleye fishing on Fountain Lake in ALbert Lea? How are the fish looking this year? Action been decent?

Meaney    0
Meaney

Nope, havent been there in years...

I'm thinkin we hit it up when you get home though.

CrappiesNCats    0
CrappiesNCats

Anyone been walleye fishing on Fountain Lake in ALbert Lea? How are the fish looking this year? Action been decent?

try the south central forum. walleye fishing is better on albert lea than fountain right now. its a safe bet for fish, but cant guarantee the walleyes. i do very well avoiding the masses. fish the dam and you will catch something, but there will also be 1000 other people there that have never released a fish in their lives. i dont fish the dam anymore because the lack of releasing fish makes my blood boil a bit.

The_Lee    0
The_Lee

I know what you mean about fishing the dam... Me and my borther hit that spot often, and at least twice a week I will see this on specific guy there who will fish his limit of eyes and they just leave with him. I wish the DNR would check this douche bag because unless he is eating walleye for every meal, there is no way he needs that many fish. I will only keep one which we will fillet up that night and eat.

shaunlenway    0
shaunlenway

Hey you don't happen to have a brother named Erick do you?? And yea the same thing goes down here in Austin at the eastside and Riverside dams. I always see "them" keeping every dam fish they catch whether its a 3 inch gill or a chub. Its just disgusting. I got a nice walleye thru the ice on Albert lea lake but haven't been over for open water yet.

Muskiefool    0
Muskiefool

Call TIP if you see people taking over limits or breaking the law, at times there is only one CO covering 1 to 2 county's and fallowing up on tips as well as patrolling, unfortunately they don't have the numbers to be all over.

Meaney    0
Meaney

Hey you don't happen to have a brother named Erick do you?? And yea the same thing goes down here in Austin at the eastside and Riverside dams. I always see "them" keeping every dam fish they catch whether its a 3 inch gill or a chub. Its just disgusting. I got a nice walleye thru the ice on Albert lea lake but haven't been over for open water yet.

HAHA, yep hes got a sister named Erick smile

shaunlenway    0
shaunlenway

haha sister thats funny! ya I was in the scouts with him back in the day

KK    0
KK

Has anyone been fishing this lake lately. Always seems to be people fishing from shore near the outlet bridge but never more than a couple boats on the lake. Thinking of giving it a try if it ever quits raining!

Scott M    3
Scott M

It's full of walleyes that need to be thinned out. The winter carp netters caught more walleyes than carp! Walleyes in DNR survey nets were really high too.

Wouldn't hurt to take the boat out for a few laps around the shoreline and a line in the water.

deek    0
deek

Yeah the lake is full of nice eyes,you just have to locate them.Just hit the bridge and some of those points out there and you should find some(10"-26").Also move along the shoreline.

deek    0
deek

Was out there yesterday with no rain finally and did ok but they were 12"-13"ers so they went back.nothing by the bridge for us just in 6-6.5' of water caught 10 in about 1 hour until the crowd moved in which was fine then it slowed down big time.but what a nice day to be out there.has anyone been hitting the bridge by the pits lately hows that,alot of people on shore by the dam though must be hitting there also with all the rain.Good luck!

bigmerc    0
bigmerc

I've looked at maps of this lake and it looks real shallow, does it get real weedy? Also how is the public access?

CrappiesNCats    0
CrappiesNCats

not weedy at all. mostly sludge. the public accesses are fine there with plenty of parking space. its shallow so find the holes/moving water and find the fish

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

The weather this past week has been absolutely fabulous.

Stateside, the full moon influence has been making fishing relatively easy. Nice walleye and perch are filling live wells when pulling gold, orange or chartreuse spinners in 13-15’, 20-22’ and 26-3-ft. Large pike are being caught and released trolling crank baits and spoons.

Up in Canada, jigging points and around reefs where fish have been located has been extremely productive. Many large fish this weekend coming on pink, orange, black or chartreuse in 18-26 ft.  Spinners will put fish on hooks as well!

The musky bite in both Canada and Minnesota has been strong, especially in shallow weeds or rock. 

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      We have had a great week of fishing! We lucked out with the weather having only a few sprinkles.

Up in Canada, jigging walleyes early morning and late afternoon has been the best, with orange, gold and yellow being the most productive, as has pulling spinners in 20-28’ using orange along the reefs.

In Minnesota, the bite has been on fire with trolling.  Blue, chrome, clown or UV pink has worked great in 26-30’. White, orange or chrome spinners have been doing very well from Four Blocks to Garden Island.

Muskies have been very active with any fish being seen after bucktails and hard baits. Our guests boated 49" and 51.5" muskies this past week!!!

We hope to see you soon!

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle of Lake of the Woods!

Up on Oak Island, we have had warm temperatures reaching mid 80’s with water temps in the mid 70’s with good visibility.

In Minnesota, chrome and chartreuse spinners and blue or silver crankbaits have been producing the best off of Lunatic Island and Four Blocks Island or West of Little Oak Island in 28-32 ft. of water.

Up in Canada, jigging gold or purple tipper with either fat heads or shiners next to rock and mud lines has been the most productive.

The musky bite has heated up with many large fish over 46” being boat. Hopefully the bite will stay strong with thunderstorms in the near future.

We hope to see you soon!

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge

We have had a great week of fishing with a few showers and strong winds.

Up in Canada, jigging on reefs and underwater humps are producing the best in 22-28 ft. with gold, pink and orange jigs. Pulling spinners is also an option on reefs in 22-24 ft of water.

In Minnesota, walleyes and perch have been caught pulling spinners in 18-28 ft. West of Four Blocks, East of Crow Duck and East of Garden Islands, with black and gold being the most effective.

On both sides, muskies have been aggressive when throwing buck tails and top waters on rock reefs.  The algae bloom has slowly begun to pick up, however, fish are still visible.

We hope to see you soon!

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from Sunset Lodge!
      This week’s water temps are 68-70 on the main lake and 71-76 in back bays.
      Minnesota walleyes are taking crawlers and minnows on spinners around reefs with gold/orange and gold/pink being the most productive in 16-25 ft. Deep and shallow crank-baits are triggering fish in the same areas including reef tops early in the day and just before sunset.
      On the Canadian side, jigging reefs continues to fill live wells with walleye and perch, the best results come from jigging the edges of the reef with gold, pink blue and white, tipped with a fathead or shiner.  Reefs surrounded with softer, shallow (20-24ft) bottom will yield walleye and sauger via spinners. 
      Besides the occasional musky caught jigging walleye, the more traditional methods like bucktails over weed/rock transition areas are resulting in fish in the net! Spinnerbaits in the weeds will generate opportunities as well. The Algae bloom is minimal and visibility is still good. 
      We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from Sunset Lodge!

Here in Minnesota, Walleyes are being landed out of 24-28’ West of Four Blocks. Pulling crawlers in the mud off of structure with Gold and Orange has been successful. 

Water temps have warmed up nicely to 70 degrees on the main lake and mid to high 70's in back bays in the afternoon resulting in Muskies on the hook. Best results have been on smaller baits such as spinners (Slop-master Bucher) and Buck tails.

On the Canadian side, Walleyes have been seen on main lake humps and reefs. Deep Water Bay and East of Monument are good place to start with spinner rigs and bottom bouncers.

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from Sunset Lodge!

Here in Minnesota, Walleyes are being landed out of 24-28’ West of Four Blocks. Pulling crawlers in the mud off of structure with Gold and Orange has been successful. 

Water temps have warmed up nicely to 70 degrees on the main lake and mid to high 70's in back bays in the afternoon resulting in Muskies on the hook. Best results have been on smaller baits such as spinners (Slop-master Bucher) and Buck tails.

On the Canadian side, Walleyes have been seen on main lake humps and reefs. Deep Water Bay and East of Monument are good place to start with spinner rigs and bottom bouncers.

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from Sunset Lodge!

The water temps have been improving to the upper 60’s and lower 70’s.

Up in the Canadian waters, jigging orange and gold have been producing very well. Areas near Skeet & Kennedy are still putting numbers of eyes and perch in the boat. Bishops Point off the reefs has been producing as well. On the east side of Monument in 22-28 feet has been producing walleye, including many over 25.” Deepwater Bay has been heating up with eater sized Walleyes and the occasional Crappie.

If you are looking to get on a great smallmouth bite, then now is the time! Many people are putting 100+ fish in the boat near tranquil Channel using cranks and spinnerbaits.

On the American side, people have been limited on their distance due to the wind but areas such as Lunatic and Four Blocks have been doing good pulling spinners with crawlers or minnows from 22-26 feet on the East side.

Muskie fishing is now starting to heat up as we get into our fourth week of the season as the water temps have improved to the upper 60's. A few people have been putting mid to upper 40" fish in the boat with many walleye anglers hooking into muskies as well.

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge

Here in Minnesota, water temps are in the low to mid 60’s and the Walleyes keep rollin’ in! Wind blown shorelines are giving up walleyes via leeches and crank-baits right along the weed line. Crawlers on a gold and/or orange spinner are producing fish out of the mud between 22 and 26 feet. Jigging has been tough this week with the strong winds, but the Mayflies have finally tapered off!!

Up on the Canadian side, bottom bouncing has been filling the live wells outside of monument bay between 24-28 feet.  Jigging near Skeet and Kennedy Islands have seen nice sized walleye and numerous perch. Great smallmouth action can currently be had in Tranquil channel and the mouth of Johnston passage. Muskie fishing is still sporadic with high 40” class fish being caught from shallow bottom bays or just outside of them. 

Fish of the Week:
      49" and 46" Muskie
      40" Pike
      At least 10 Walleye over 25" 

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Chevy Nation
      By Chevy Nation
      I was wondering if and there is any good fishing in Hastings during the summertime lake Rebecca, lake Isabella, Vermilion River, or anywhere off the banks of the Mississippi? I haven't caught anything yet this year and I am itching to catch anything now. Just a fyi I just bank fish.

Thanks in advance!
    • delcecchi
      Second the guide.  Fishing a lake in the north is totally different from fishing Mississippi or lake Zumbro or other lakes in the southern half of the state.  Otherwise you should look at the best place to launch your boat to be close to good fishing.  Rainy is a very big lake.. Ask in http://fishingminnesota.com/forums/forum/98-rainy-lake-fishing-reports-hunting-events/ the rainy lake forum. 
    • leech~~
      Unless they find a way to stop all the kinds of waterfowl from swimming, diving, eating and pooping from lake to lake. It's never going away.
    • RuddyDuck
      I saw this on the Wright County website today: http://www.wrightswcd.org/Water_Mana...e_species.html
      There's a link in Blue on the home page.

Sounds like they are having a meeting about it on AUG 23. From talking to the DNR, I believe they didn't allow the initial dates for this to happen. Mostly because there was really no comment period on it. Sounds like they are gonna have it now. Guess if your against it, now's your chance to speak up. You can also send in written comments. Not sure exactly to who, at least I didn't see that part clearly. Maybe to Alicia O'Hare.

Like others have said, I believe their ultimate goal is to have this implemented county wide at some point. When you look at the committee info, most groups are lake associations. Hopefully it still can be stopped. Here is the DNR person I called on this, she was helpful: Heidi Wolf - 651-259-5152

Anyone else have new info on this?
    • guitpic
      Tx all
    • BobT
      I resisted converting to braided lines. I liked my TrileneXL. Then, one day about four years ago I decided to spool up with fireline and at first I didn't think I could really feel much difference. Skeptical me, I always held on to that spool loaded with my trusty Trilene. One day I decided to put that mono back on and immediately could feel the difference. It felt like I was fishing with a rubber band. I went back to braided and haven't looked back. 
    • monstermoose78
      Last night a flock of geese buzzed the house and Finn went nuts! I think he wants to get out hunting as much as I do.
    • Rick
        Anyone with a 2017 Minnesota fishing or hunting license can receive a free St. Paul Saints logo baseball cap and discounted tickets though a special Saints ticket offer online at mndnr.gov/saints.  The offer is good for the 7:05 p.m. Monday, Aug. 21, game vs. the Wichita Wingnuts. Tickets are $17 and all ticket holders under this partnership will pick up their cap at the game. Instructions for purchasing tickets are at mndnr.gov/saints. Buy licenses at any Minnesota Department of Natural Resources license agent, online with a mobile or desktop device at mndnr.gov/buyalicense, or by phone at 888-665-4236. Mobile buyers receive a text or email that serves as proof of a valid fish or game license to state conservation officers.   Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • birdguy
      Having my annual Shoot on Saturday, always a good warm up to fall hunting.....Food - Fun and Guns!  
    • Knowknot
      Nice video Curt.  Looks like you are having way too much fun out there. Enjoy the time on the water.
    • paceman
      I will probably go out to my parents farm and set up in a pasture. The cattle have it mowed down pretty good. The geese seem tp pile in there pretty good. I won't hit it to hard, just get out a few times and hopefully get my son to get his first goose...