Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Flamefox

Albert Lea Lake Fishing Reports

487 posts in this topic

Mark and I were out on the lake , 1 fish in many hours was really dead. The only one fish was a bass 14". The ice was 14" thick when i put the ice dipper down the hole to measure it. People were driving around all over the place.

Did the marginal bite finally peter out or is it because the access is drifted in. There has been one lonely portable out there the past week. Seems to be slowly sinking into the snow

I think with that additional coverage a couple of weeks ago it slowed/shut the bite down, much the same as December had.

perch just out into the lake from the channel. nothing worth getting crazy about. have to be their very early though as the bite slows to a near stop once its light out.

not really worth the effort right now

Some of those perch are pretty nice. Too few & far between for me???

Hey Wanger29

Long time no see. Haven't heard from you since I left channel 6. So how's the fishing down there?

Redbeard5289

Not too bad, been kinda hit & miss. Help me out a little, were you in morn prod.? Wait a sec... Redbeard how ya been? Been a number of years. How's the fishing your way?

Not to bad...Been hitting the reservoirs in Rochester mostly. Even got my 4 yr old son out on the Ice at Foster Arendts twice so far and hoping to make it #3 this weekend. Not an keepers out at Fosters but good bites for the boy with 3-4 in bluegills. Hoping to try willow Creek this weekend..

Man o man, has it been a long time...I'll send you a email in the next couple of days to catch up...

Talk to ya soon

Sounds Good!

Just wondering if any fish are biteing down that way am coming down to Albert tommorow to work for a couple weeks. an would like to do a little fishing between fountain an Albert lea. Was down there for a couple months last summer and managed to have a little fun fishing down there. Any reports thanks.

What's the word on someone falling in down there? Sounds like he's alright and everything. Heard about it over the weekend.

Anyone been walleye fishing on Fountain Lake in ALbert Lea? How are the fish looking this year? Action been decent?

Nope, havent been there in years...

I'm thinkin we hit it up when you get home though.

Anyone been walleye fishing on Fountain Lake in ALbert Lea? How are the fish looking this year? Action been decent?

try the south central forum. walleye fishing is better on albert lea than fountain right now. its a safe bet for fish, but cant guarantee the walleyes. i do very well avoiding the masses. fish the dam and you will catch something, but there will also be 1000 other people there that have never released a fish in their lives. i dont fish the dam anymore because the lack of releasing fish makes my blood boil a bit.

I know what you mean about fishing the dam... Me and my borther hit that spot often, and at least twice a week I will see this on specific guy there who will fish his limit of eyes and they just leave with him. I wish the DNR would check this douche bag because unless he is eating walleye for every meal, there is no way he needs that many fish. I will only keep one which we will fillet up that night and eat.

Hey you don't happen to have a brother named Erick do you?? And yea the same thing goes down here in Austin at the eastside and Riverside dams. I always see "them" keeping every dam fish they catch whether its a 3 inch gill or a chub. Its just disgusting. I got a nice walleye thru the ice on Albert lea lake but haven't been over for open water yet.

Call TIP if you see people taking over limits or breaking the law, at times there is only one CO covering 1 to 2 county's and fallowing up on tips as well as patrolling, unfortunately they don't have the numbers to be all over.

Hey you don't happen to have a brother named Erick do you?? And yea the same thing goes down here in Austin at the eastside and Riverside dams. I always see "them" keeping every dam fish they catch whether its a 3 inch gill or a chub. Its just disgusting. I got a nice walleye thru the ice on Albert lea lake but haven't been over for open water yet.

HAHA, yep hes got a sister named Erick smile

haha sister thats funny! ya I was in the scouts with him back in the day

Has anyone been fishing this lake lately. Always seems to be people fishing from shore near the outlet bridge but never more than a couple boats on the lake. Thinking of giving it a try if it ever quits raining!

It's full of walleyes that need to be thinned out. The winter carp netters caught more walleyes than carp! Walleyes in DNR survey nets were really high too.

Wouldn't hurt to take the boat out for a few laps around the shoreline and a line in the water.

Yeah the lake is full of nice eyes,you just have to locate them.Just hit the bridge and some of those points out there and you should find some(10"-26").Also move along the shoreline.

Was out there yesterday with no rain finally and did ok but they were 12"-13"ers so they went back.nothing by the bridge for us just in 6-6.5' of water caught 10 in about 1 hour until the crowd moved in which was fine then it slowed down big time.but what a nice day to be out there.has anyone been hitting the bridge by the pits lately hows that,alot of people on shore by the dam though must be hitting there also with all the rain.Good luck!

I've looked at maps of this lake and it looks real shallow, does it get real weedy? Also how is the public access?

not weedy at all. mostly sludge. the public accesses are fine there with plenty of parking space. its shallow so find the holes/moving water and find the fish

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• Chevy Nation
      By Chevy Nation
      I was wondering if and there is any good fishing in Hastings during the summertime lake Rebecca, lake Isabella, Vermilion River, or anywhere off the banks of the Mississippi? I haven't caught anything yet this year and I am itching to catch anything now. Just a fyi I just bank fish.

Thanks in advance!
    • Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

On the Minnesota side, water temperatures have dropped in the past few days due to the strong winds in the area, making boat control a challenge. Wind-blown shorelines have plenty of active fish between 4 and 14ft. Productive presentations include Rapalas and spinner rigs.  The Flats south of Flag Island have stayed consistent this week with a 30” walleye coming out on Saturday!

Muskie fishing is now open and underway in the Northwest Angle. With cooler water temps, fish location and activity has been sporadic. Walleye action off Gardener and Deepwater reefs continue to fill limits with gold and pink jigs being the hot colors in Canada this week. 

We hope to see you soon!

Sunset Lodge Staff

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Greetings from Sunset Lodge!!

Fishing is holding strong up in the Northwest Angle! Both the East and West side of Little Oak have been producing large amounts of Walleye and Sauger between 17 and 22ft, with the largest walleye coming out of Sunset Lodge being 29 inches. The flats on the South side of Flag Island (5-7ft) have been putting fish in the box. Spinners and Jigs in Orange and Black are this week’s hot colors. Sharp breaks on the west side of Flag have also been productive. Numerous slot fish coming from the South East side of Garden Island with water temps in the mid to high 60’s.

Our biggest Walleye coming out of Canada this week was a 29.5 inch pig. Jigging seems to be the most productive with gold or pink jigs from tranquil channel to Monkey Rock reef. Gardner Island also been hot up shallow on the South side with Orange and Gold jigs. 

Starting Saturday Muskie season is upon us and the fish are hungry! 

We hope to see you soon!

Sunset Lodge Staff
      218-223-8211
      info@sunsetlodgeresort.com

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Greetings from the Northwest Angle!

With water temps reaching 67 degrees and steadily on the rise, Minnesota is producing fish close to the island at various depths all throughout the day, from shallow rocks to as deep as 26 feet. As long as you are confident in your approach, limits can be obtained on Spinner baits, Daredevils, jigs and spinners. 

It is a fun time to be fishing in Canada, with multiple fish over 20" our best results have been on jigs (orange and gold specifically) with a minnow. Rocky shorelines are producing great numbers of Smallmouths and we are starting to see weeds develop all over the Angle and islands. Just a reminder: Muskie season opens on June 17th!

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Another fantastic week of fishing up in the Northwest Angle!

Two weeks into the Minnesota season an abundance of saugers are congregating around Little Oak, as well as other small islands near Crow Duck, making for an easy shore lunch spot while staying close to home. Jigging at 18-24 has produced the most fish but it isn’t too early to be pulling spinners.

On the Canadian side, walleyes are more dispersed but very plentiful on main lake points with current anywhere from 15-20 ft. of water, holes remain consistent.  Almost any method is producing fish, gold/yellow/orange jigs with a minnow seems to be the most popular.  The northern pike bite remains strong with many thirty plus fish being seen. 

We hope to see you soon!

Sunset Lodge Staff
      218-223-8211
      info@sunsetlodgeresort.com

• flagislanddan
      By flagislanddan
      Greetings fishermen and women! Its great being back in the swing of things and better yet in the boat! Both the MN and Ontario season is now open and fishing has been great! Staffers here at Flag Island Resort have been busy getting ready for the upcoming summer months with some deep cleaning, window washing, grounds work and remodeling!

On the Minnesota side anglers have been catching nice saugers, walleyes and perch. Soon the crappies should be finding their way into the shallows around Angle Inlet and other small creeks and the walleyes have spawned out over the past couple of weeks. With the warmer temps that started out last week anglers were finding fish in shallower water between 5-17 feet now, with the cooler temps, rain and winds most of the fish have been pushed deeper into the 16-26 foot range. Points and reefs close to large land masses adjacent to sand and rubble have been hot locations. Anglers have found fish near Soldier’s, Little Oak, Oak Island and NW Point. The water surface temp has been in that 50-55 degree range. Right now it seems like everything is working from ¼ to 3/8 jigs to slow trolling with raps in the shallows as well as trolling spinners keeping on the move at 0.9 mph.

Over in Ontario, the walleye, sauger, crappie, perch and pike have been hungry. Perch and crappie should be spawning soon. Crappies are being caught around the 20 foot mark . Sandy bays and points have been best for the walleye and crappie bite while the perch are still caught in the rocks. Many pike have been caught in areas with current. There have been reports of a lot of smallmouth mixed in with the walleyes.  Jigging with a ¼-3/8 ounce jig has been the ticket and the water temp has been around 49-52 degrees.

We hope to see you up here soon!
      Until next week, good luck fishing!
      Guides Dan Schmidt, Jeremy Glessing and Cale Albers
      Flag Island Resort
      218-223-8011

• monstermoose78
      By monstermoose78
      I know the lakes are open and that means some the first open water fishing spots are producing. Any one out there catching em yet? I will be riggin the ultra light up today so I can stop on my way home from work.  
    • monstermoose78
      By monstermoose78
      I know the lakes are open and that means some the first open water fishing spots are producing. Any one out there catching em yet? I will be riggin the ultra light up today so I can stop on my way home from work.  
    • Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      3.13.17 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report

Hello from the NW Angle!

The snow pack has diminished and snowmobile trails on the the lake are icy. The forecast for this week is great for extending our ice fishing season.

On the Minnesota side, the number of perch have greatly increased with many 14 inchers being caught. Good sized saugers are being seen as well. The dead stick is still productive, rattlers and spoons used as attracting method in the sand or mud off of the rock structure.

Canadian fishing has been consistent, limits of crappies are being caught in 30-33ft with fine plastics that wiggle. Walleyes can be had easily near rock structure in 22-26 feet.

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge Ice Team

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      3.6.17 Sunset Lodge Fishing & Ice Report

Hello from the NW Angle!

Mid-week we are expecting temperatures in the teens and a few inches of snow which should help extend the hard water season!

On the Minnesota side, fishing has really picked up. The morning bite is strong up until the noon hour and picks back up again around 4pm. With the longer days, the evening bite is a little more consistent. Black and gold as well as pink and white have continued to produce the most fish. We are fishing more rock piles than in February and are having good luck at depths between 22 and 24 ft.

On the Canadian side, holes between 28 and 30 feet are a solid bet for crappies. Blue and white tungsten with a red mustache worm or wax worm have been very productive. We are seeing a lot more perch in our catch.

Still a couple weeks of great fishing left, come join us!

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge Ice Team