Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hawkeye43

truck down on tetonka

14 posts in this topic

A young man dropped his 2004 truck in 25' of water, about 300 yds off the west end of tetonka, staight out from the sportsman's club. He said that every where that they drilled hole was 11", but where the truck went down, 5". they didn't drill holes out to where they were driving. confused.gif. they were able to get a cable tied on before it went down all together. Be carefull out there.

Before anyone ask, it wasn't my son. It would have been, we would be attenting his funeral today.

Oh NO, i guess that truck is a total lost now. I feel bad for him frown.gif, Not any worst then losing one in 150ft of water where I'm orginaly from maine.

That's never good. I'm actually kind of amazed that this is the first one we've heard about. confused.gif

With that being said, I drove my truck out tonite after 2 weeks of ice measurements. If you dont do this all the way to your house, the lake is real spotty right now, we are talking 5 INCHES. I guess what I'm saying, if you see a perm or a truck that doesn't mean it is safe out there.

Like Big DS said, I'm surprised this is one of the first incidents. An unfortunate reminder that the ice is not safe yet for vehicle traffic unless a lot of research is done ahead of time.

I was on Francis on Friday we were on 11" of ice and there were many full size 1/2 ton 3/4 ton trucks pulling big wheel houses out. I would not be surprised to see more go thru.

i dont drive my car on the ice, yesterday i was on frans i took a measurement 14" of ice.

So how many inches of ice would you guys take a full size pickup pulling a 2500#, 14' wheel house? Yes, I know, its never safe, but just wondering what ice depth I can pull mine out at? I dont have a 4 wheeler, so its with the truck or nothing and I am not comfortable leaving it out there unattendend, so would like to pull it out and bring it home when i am done.

The ice was 13"-14" in 4' of water and 11" in 8'-9' of water where I was fishing. We used a wheeler and portable as we were skeptical about the vehicles we saw on the ice. The original post said he measured 11" of ice but went thru on 5" too early for consistant ice and even when you think ice is consistant you never know. I always lean on the side of caution.

13" consistent i wouldnt have a problem with that! but this year with the snow is different!

I like to see 14 - 16".

I know I will get blasted but it's Darwins theory at work.

Quote:

I like to see 14 - 16".

Them are the numbers I like to see also. I can wait, and thats why I have a portable, so I can pull it on the ice.

I just checked, the truck should be out soon, if not already. A company out of Mankato got the salvage on this one.