• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cold Weather Hunting?

solocam

The few times I have hunted the late season, I have hunted out of a tree stand. Its nice to see a deer coming from a long distance with snow on the ground and no leaves in the trees. A ground blind would also work just fine.

Sometimes the ground blind will be a better fit for some areas as there simply is not a good tree in the area that you would like to hunt or the tree may be to far from the trail or food source. On a cold windy day, I would probably pick the ground blind if it fit the area I was planning on hunting.

Another plus for the ground blind this time of year is, the tree bark can have snow and ice and it is a little more risky to climb the tree. make sure to wear your safety belt.

I still feel best in the tree. Mostly because ground blinds need to be hidden more when hunting deer and I hunt public land and its not easy to set them up and brush them in well without being noticed.

I can hunt a tree as soon as my stand is hung. It will be colder and you are more exposed to the elements, but I like the extra visibility.

One can place a white bed sheet over the blind and paint some brown lines in the sheet to look like it is brushed in. Once the sheet is over the blind, place a little snow around the skirt like a portable fish house. You can also slit the sheet by the door entrance to get in and out. It does work and helps keep the wind out.

You will also need to cut out the shooting ports.

I have a sheet all set up with velcro by the window ports so its real easy to set up. One can also use it for hunting coyotes out of when calling.

The best would be to set up along a heavy trail to a major winter feeding area.

After I read your first post Harvey I was thinking to myself, Why has no one came up with a snow camo blind for late season hunters yet. It would make a lot of sense to me if they did.

Most of my late hunting is from ground blinds, in fact majority of the deer I harvest now are from brush ground blinds. Make one anywhere you want and hutn it immediately. I hunt some late season from treestand but a bit of forewarning. Every sound is amplified on a calm winter evening so make sure your stand is secure and firmly inplace to avoid any squaeks or carry a little silicone with you to quiet it down when you get there.

Solocam, depending on the mfg of the blind, there are snow covers for blinds and they also make blaze orange caps for the top during rifle season. I know Fleet and Cabela's carry them.

The white cammo is out there! But I took 2 white sheets and made a poncho,its actually for coyotes,I had a butcher froke (Heavy white cotton)worked great but I seem to gain weight! AHHH my younger years!For deer I dont make blinds I still hunt.

I never thought of the blind cover before. I'll have to try that out if I get to do some coyote hunting this winter.

I almost entirely treestand hunt myself. I like being able to see them coming, the deer not seeing me, easier to draw back without getting pinned, and less chance of them smelling you.

If you're really up for a challenge try stalking up on a deer after a fresh snow by following their tracks. It's no easy feat and really is an accomplishment to feel proud of if you succeed.

I have actually walked up on two in the past two days. The only problem is I didnt get closer than 70 yards or so. Unfortunately they didnt get any closer. Neither seemed to know I was there. Watched the one yesterday for an hour before she disappeared behind a bush and never came out. Finally I walked over and she was gone confused.gif Hunted every day since last Saturday but think I am going to take the day off today. THis is my first year with bow and hunting this late. I have a double bull I use sometimes but lately doing the slow stalking thing. My stands are up north and too heavy (ladder stands).