Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MuskieJunkie

TV reception on the south side?

10 posts in this topic

I bought a permanent last year and haven't had a TV in it yet, it came with TV antenna (maybe 10' high) and a booster. Anyone know which channels I would get with that, if any? Thanks.

Brian, you can get about 3-5 channels depending on the weather, even with a booster. I believe in a few years TV antennas will no longer be useful and all tv reception will be by cable or dish. Having a dish out there is nice, cable would not work so well as that's a lot of miles from your home. I switched from anntena to dish this year.

Where are you pulling out of?

Tim

The switch to digital is Feb 09. You will be able to get TV over the air but you will need a digital to analog converter for your TV to be able to use the signal. Digital signal will not travel as far so you may be out of luck in areas away from the towers like Mille Lacs. On the plus side if you do get anything it will be nice and clear. The days of snowy screen will be gone. It will be kind of sad if we have to see all those antennas replaced with dishes. They add a little character to the houses.

Thanks guys.

It's out of Brandt's.

I have satilite at home, are you guys just bringing a reciver from home and pluging it into a dish on the shack? That sounds to easy........

I think that's what most people do. Then you just have to pay for the extra reciever, (or have 1 less at home for the winter)

Nice, I like easy! So are most people having to use a generator to run their tv's or does a 12v battery work out fine? If it does, how long does the battery last?

We are out of Cove bay and with a large antenna I can get 4,5,9, and 11. Reception changes from fair to good. This past weekend 4 and 5 came in for me like I was in the cities.

Aces, I run my 13" color TV/VCR with either the 12v battery or generator. Usually during the day or to catch the news, I run the TV with a 400 watt 12v to 110v converter. At night when we watch movies or the kids are up and play the playstation, we run the generator.

I've been wondering about digital long range reception.Lets say your 90 miles from the cities.(mille lacs)Do we now only get a (pay only)signal or with the "new"converter or digital reciever tv will they work long range.I hope this isn't as confusing for you guys as it is for meconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifc63

Unlikely we will be able to receive Digital Broadcasts from Shoreview at ML. Probably will be able to get stations form Brainerd or Aitkin or maybe even St Cloud. As to a TV, you can pick up a 15" LCD these days with digital tuner built in for $200-250 which run off of 12V. That means with a regular antenna (digital is on UHF frequencies) and a deep cycle battery you could watch TV straight for 2 days. TV with DVD built in is about $100 bucks more. It is just another piece of "gear" for the shack. I myself do satellite which works out great and run both TV and 75w inverter for sat (sat box only takes 25W and smaller inverter the less drain off of battery) off of one deep cycle for the entire weekend. No generator "humming" all the time you know. I like it quiet out there! Let me know if you need more details and I'll be happy to fill you in.

Merry Christmas

Capt Ron

I found some information about the Digital signal.DTV broadcasters are assigned channels in the VHF and UHF bands 54mhz to 700mhz (analog channels 2 to 51 now)so as it goes now where you receive these signals now you will get digital....yea!c63 grin.gif