Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fisherman34

Suspended Walleye Question??

3 posts in this topic

This year has been a weird one for walleye's because of of the weather I think. I am fishing in about 16 feet of water but the the few walleyes I have been catching are suspended in about 7 feet of water. Is this because of the lack of oxygen on the bottom? I haven't been catching a lot so i was wondering if I should move in shallower to about 10 or 11 feet. Are the Walleyes possibly shallower because of the snow cover? I am just looking for some suggestions. The lake is realatively flat with not a lot of structure. Could the walleyes be in the shallows??

I have been told that with the snow cover the weeds die out faster with the lack of sun light so the bait fish are where the weeds are for cover and that is in shallow waters find the weeds an weed line and might have beeter luck.good luck an be safe out their.

Welcome to FM, There are many reasons for fish to suspend over deeper water. Oxygen could play a part, but I doubt it is here. Bait may play a part, but again I doubt it is here. Most likely the fish are moving from one area to another. I've caught suspended walleyes in varying depths of water, some relating to baitfish, some I have no idea why they were where they were. Walleyes have no problem adjusting depth in as shallow of water where you are fishing. I'd probably concentrate on nearby feeding areas. Most of the time before mid winter the fish will relate to the baitfish, which usually are in shallower water this time of the year. Really depends on the individual lake. Good luck fishing, looks like a windy cold day! Brent