• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Medium Sized Lakes Ice Conditions

I have a cabin in the Longville area and was just wondering how the ice is. I know, I know, it all depends on what lake and you should always check it yourself, which I always do. Just looking to get some general info on 500-600 acre lakes. How much ice? Slush? ATVs and snowmobiles safe? I know the lake my cabin is on well, just want to gauge about how much ice I could expect. I may try to get up there next week after Christmas.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone? May try to go up this weekend or two weeks from now. I don't think there will be any way to travel besides snowmobile or atv.

Was out on a couple smaller lakes around leech and tons of slush with about 6-12" of ice. About 6-8" of slush. If you plan on fishing outside/walking, throw in some hip boots. Travel by ATV could be risky especially if you get stuck..

Has there been any improvement at all this week? I know it will be a little cooler going into the weekend, but I don't know how long it takes to clear up some of the slush. I'll be up this weekend on a smaller lake and will report the conditions when I return.

About 12" of ice on most of the lake I was on with minimal slush for the most part. One end of the lake still had heavy slush (snowmobile could barely get through it at full throttle), so we stayed away from fishing that part. We caught 15-20 crappies and lost one northern on the tip-up (broke the line), so fishing was a bit slow. There were a lot of fish showing up on the vex, but they were finicky. Most were caught on glow jigs or small silver spoons.

I am heading up north this weekend to the Backus/Pine River area to do some ice fishing. I was just wondering how good of access there is getting onto the lakes and out to the popular fishing spots. Can you get out with a ATV or do I need to bring a snowmobile.