Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
baitshopboy

Sugar Lake. Some much structure, where do you start??

14 posts in this topic

I was recently out on sugar. Buddy manged to catch only 1 eye'... i was looking at the gps... and though to myself, with all these ledges for a medium lake like thios, where the heck would you start??... Im not looking for and particular spots, cuz im good at finding my own grin.gif... just wonder what thoughts you fellow fisherman might have... yet again not looking for spots at all...

Fish deep for the suspended fish-- Crappies and Walleyes

I can't give you specifics for Sugar,but let me throw this at you.With multiple locations/pieces of structure to choose from,look for the 'spot on the spot'.With each tapering point,sunken island,rock hump,feeding shelf off a breakline, there are microspots,or the 'spot on the spot',that provide that something extra for the fish to be attracted to.Classic example for pike or muskies, might be a saddle area, between an island and a shoreline point.In this saddle area might be a big cabbage weed bed, adjacent to a rock pile .A saddle area by itself is a good start, but adding other structural features,for a combo of sorts, is better.Doing some research with a good lakemap,and a underwater camera will aid you in finding the 'spot on the spot'. It really is a bit of trial and error to find these spots.But the effort usually pays off,especially on bodies of water with any kind of fishing pressure.

As an afterthought to my last post, something else to consider is where is the food/bait/baitfish? All the great structure in the lake won't do you any good if the food is somewhere else.If you see bait on the flasher,you can pretty much figure the predators will be nearby.Also consider that Sugar has northerns and muskies that might chase the crappies and walleyes.Again, the predator/prey relationship.I am throwing out generalities here,but some readers may get a little food for thought.Hope it helps.

thanks rockman.... great point made... ive been fishing structure upon structure for a long time... but you have inspired me to try something new here. its well appreciated that ive gained this knowledge!!! laugh.gif thank you..... im going to use it to my advantage, and hopefully get a report back too you......

Any ice report from the north landing out past the points would be appreciated! Drove past Tuesday afternoon, saw wheeler tracks going south, but the two guys I saw out there looked like they were on foot. I was thinking of taking my dad out Sunday, but a long walk through slush might be more than what he is looking for. Anyone been out on the main lake with a machine?

Tight lines... Gas Man

Just a reminder to all, New this year, Muskie season closed on Dec. 15th. Just thought I would throw that out there in case your one of the lucky ones to land a muskie out there this winter.

Yep,glad I can help...I think. grin.gif I wasn't assuming you didn't know of the theory of spot on the spot.Some folks can get a bit overwhelmed with multiple structures in a lake sometimes. I know I did at one time, and still do a bit on new water.Just trying to make it a bit easier for others to figure things out.One of the fun things in ice fishing is figuring out new lakes, and patterns.It's all part of the puzzle. laugh.gif

Quote:

ice report

yeah i was out on saturday with my wheeler... and i was amzed at the ice on sum spots and not amazed at all in other spots.... i found as much as 17 inches!!! in a few spots on the south end and as little as 5 up about mid lake with lots of slush just right there... and as far as the reports go... pretty lame, lots of little perch on 1/8 oz jigging spoons..... no eye's

Baitshopboy,

Was your last post from another string that I should know about? Were you out Saturday the 22nd? Thinking of heading out from the north access Thursday morning. Will report if there is anything worth talking about.

Gas Man

no.. i posted it wrong sorry.... and sorry bout not getting back to you.... just have been busy... might actualy fish here tomorrow morning!!! cool.gif and yes was out... poor fishing... any luck -gas man-

I was thinking of givin sugar a try tomorrow. Crappies and or Walleyes. I have never fished this lake summer or winter. Any thoughts on current ice, tactics, etc... or possibly a different option? Thanks

I never really had any luck for the eyes on Sugar after early ice, but I know they are bittin' good this year. I usualy fish elsewhere after new years, but Sugar is a good bet for some eye's. There are some nice crapps in there, I just never fish 'em. Can you beleive it, the time I put in on that water(ice) and I never even caught a crappie! yet. "YET" is the key word, I may actualy hunt them and get some here soon.

Someone told me that there was a vehichle went through on the North end of sugar last week. Anyone know about that? I know they were drivin all over that lake on the 4th, so I dunno. Just wondering if it was true. I might have to hit the bar (in the lake that is) when I go. Good luck, and spill the beans!

Baitshopboy

We never hit Sugar, Indian instead. Lots of cookie cutter sunnies. All for now… trout on the brain.

Gas Man