• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Shakedown Slough - FM Get-Together!

Come join the fun again this year chasing jumbo perch, sunfish, walleye and pike on Height of Land Lake, Sunday January 13, 2008. We will meet at the south access at 9am; the access is located on the south shore of SE bay, just off of MN Hwy 34 E, behind the bait shop. We will wait at the access until 930am and then proceed on to the ice for some fishing fun.

Height of Land is a great lake for multi-species angling excitement. HoL is a day-bite lake and can produce some nice jumbo perch and bluegills. Walleyes, pike and the occasional crappie are also possible. Waxies and teardrop jigs, finesse plastics, as well as jigging spoons are standard fare. We will mainly be fishing in 6-10 FOW; you will be able to see the fish down your hole for some sight fishing. There are a lot of northerns out there, but it seems as if the more you see, the better the panfishing will be!! We'll fish until whenever (usually dies down at dark).

Feel free to bring whatever you'd like to eat and drink, as food and beverage will not be provided.

Last year the cold weather hampered the bite, but those that attended had a great time. This event is open to everyone; bring your wife, children, friends and anyone else you would like. This is a great opportunity to meet and fish with other Fishing Minnesota members and a chance to meet new people and share fishing tips and stories.

Date: Sunday January 13, 2008

Location: Height of Land Lake, south access just off MN Hwy 34 E

Time: 9am to 430pm

Oh my lord, you guys picked a day that I am NOT WORKING!!! COUNT ME IN!!!!!!!!!!! I look forward to putting some faces to the names. Take care

Cliffy!

Hope to be there with 3 of my favorite fishing ladies...lets hope for a decent bite and decent temps!

I think it is about a 1.5 miles from the access, but we will likely be moving around a little bit. I wouldn't worry about getting around. There will be sleds and wheelers out there and I can give you (and others) a lift to the spot on my sled if you want, no problem. I imagine that some may be driving vehicles out as well.

Well, I'll be working so count me out, unless I can get out of a couple of hours in the morning to run down and do a meet and greet, wet a line catch a fish and leave.

whats the word on the ice conditions, is there enough to drive out. would love to make it but no way i cn pull my suitcase out there a mile and ahalf

• 2 weeks later...

I see others and my posts are missing, Cliffy twisted my arm and i will be there. I 2 will be needing some transportation on and off the lake. We should be there between 0900 and 0915 hours. Here is a dumb question, Is there bait close by or should i pick some up on the way out of town. I think one of our new members, Pike Pickler will also be there.

I think i will be there, but driving out, if anyone has a trailor that can be pulled out i can do that for anyone, i have a Jimmy so its lighter than a full sized vehicle so i think it will be ok. i will be grabbing a couple scoops of minnows for anyone to use. I will be in the maroon Jimmy.

sounds good, there is agroup of us coming from moorhead, we may have access to a snowmobile, but we'll see you there, how many people gonna be there that u know of?

Perch Destroyer:

I will have a snowmobile...a dandy 1980s model....it aint much but it should do the trick...we will have to figure something out...as two guys our size probably wont fit...but we can make multipul runs.

Cliffy.

I've got a two-up sled that can handle shuttling folks out to the spot. You could probably get bait at the gas station, but I would suggest getting what you need at your local shop, just to be safe.

DEADhead:

We sure might take you up on that offer :)! I am meeting perch destroyer in DL and we should be at HOL landing around 900-915am. I have a 05 red Ford S-screw. I am realy looking forward to meeting you guys. Take care.

Cliffy

I have never fished HOL, sounds interesting, count me in.

Hopefully the lake is driveable by truck and not to slushly.

<BTW> I will have room for another angler in my portable.

If the access is ok, driving out shouldn't be a problem. I've driven on Lida and Melissa and HOL freezes way before them. With a lot of the snowpack melted, and cold nights, the lake should be easily driveable. JP and I will probably take my permanent out Saturday night and set up base camp, and fish early morning to find some fish. We'll see you all there, hopefully the fish will cooperate.

I was out on Lida today and thought there was about 12-14 inches of ice...at least where i drilled. I just got a bad feeling about driving on the ice this year...but I guess if I see others driving out...I might just chance it as well.

Cliffy, if your gonna chance it in your truck, i may chance it with u, (in ur truck), im not comfortable driving the tundra out, but the 80's model snowmobile sounds fun. pike pickler said we could dump that heap and put his heap on the trailer, get with him on that idea. the perch

Hey how are we all gonna find each other...just run around shouting im here for the FM get together??

fisherdog:

I did ok considering it was my first time out this winter. I had been sick for a few weeks and I have heard so much about "bad ice" that I never really felt like going. So, yesterday I thought it would be a good day to try out the new portable (Yukon). I kept a few walleyes in the 15 inch range...and had to toss back a few in the 19, 20 range and one really nice 23-34 incher. The first bite was at 1130 and a flurry of action at 230 and then all went dead and I pulled office the ice at 430ish.

Cliffy.

Originally Posted By: JigginIsLife
Hey how are we all gonna find each other...just run around shouting im here for the FM get together??

Hopefully the majority of the people will show up at the access by 0930. After that you'll probably be able to figure out who's with FM, since there is not a lot of pressure on the lake (aside from the locals in their permanents). Otherwise look for the maroon GMC Sierra next to a permanent house and head out there. One of us will probably be holding down camp there.

[Otherwise look for the maroon GMC Sierra next to a permanent house and head out there. One of us will probably be holding down camp there.

Well, ya fellas mind another 2? I have to bring my boy back to his ma's in DL on Sunday so I figure we might as well come early and see if we can get in on the action.

Question, how's the snow? I have a wheeler and a sled that I can pull up. Although I would prefer to just bring my little car and drive out. Its AWD, but deeper snow can give me trouble.