Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
buckhntr162

buffalo

27 posts in this topic

Havent heard much about buffalo lately anything goin on out there? Thought about headin out on fri.

I have been doing Ok on the walleyes. I have heard of poeple doing ok on crappies. Read the fishing reports post for more.

lots of 10-11" fish. Put em back in !!!!

I would agree with put the 10-11 inch fish back in and even 12 or 13 inchers for that matter. I have been seeing more of the 13 - 15 inch fish lately. I do still see the smaller fish but I do see some larger fish too.

is there any slush out there? might go out today.

I've found that most of the slush that was out there has froze. Don't know whats gonna happen with the snow they're predicting.

KDawg have you been fishing out in front of the courthouse?

I went out on the south side and it was slow. I saw ALOT of perch on the underwater camera, and a few crappies.

How has the bite been out there?? I am planning on heading out on Tuesday the 1st.

The bite for me has been horrible. My first few trips out were amazing. I was catching nice mixes of walleyes and crappies and I only kept a few walleyes and threw all the crappies back. But lately, wow has it been bad. I fished all over the 30ft hole from 20ft.-30 ft. with not much. I even took some kids out and wanted to give them some action so I was going to set tip ups out around the 7ft. hump and nab some pike but even that was a bust. I don't now why but there are no weeds in and around that hump. Usually there are and the pike are in there.

Time to try some other lakes I think.

Same here. I got 1 small crappuie there by the hole and a few bites on a buckshot ratle spoon, no hook ups.

What is everyone pursuing on the North end if the fishing is so lousy? There must've been almost 100 guys out tonight. If the walleye bite is on like has been rumored, I hope everyone is practicing selective harvest or we're gonna end up w/ more summers like last year filled w/ nothing but 9" eyes again.

I just came off the South side Sunday night, and sat in 20 ft. on the break well south of the 30 ft. hole. Lots of eyes down there at 5:30, but was 6:30 before I got a worthy bite. Finished at 8 with 2 eyes (13,15 and 15) and lost 3. One big'n pushin 20. Then the fish on bottom turned to crappies, but no size.

A guy can still get that glowing eye comming up his hole if he just fishes VERY LIGHT! I mean panfish jigs with small crappie minnows, or a small minnow head. Glow red made all the difference (of course). It sure isn't EASY, but if you are a lil hard core, finesse walleyes for all. Good luck. Will be back there on Friday or Sat. Green/silver Dodge Dakota 4-dr. -Adam-

Fished the point south of the N. access and filled out with 9" crappies but weeded thru 25 or so to get em, very finiky! hard work. No action with the walleyes though. 19fow

I was one of the 100 people out on the north end last night. No walleyes to report but, all the small crappies you wanted. I didn't catch anything that I considered a keeper. They were fun to catch though for the first time out this year.

Springer you and I had thew same thing going saturday nite. Lots of small crappies.

How about the 8 or so snowmobiles that went right through the middle of the group of fish houses? I wanted to throw my ice scoop at them. They came through just as I was packing up.

Some Jerks have no clue.

I went out tonight (1-1-08). I used the in-town access. When you look out on to the lake, there are three visable clumbs of houses; left, center, right. I chose the left. Got out and set up. My one year old ice auger that worked perfectly only a week ago would not start. Thankfully two guys were kind enough to not only let me borrow theirs, the actually drilled the holes. Good guys. Anyway, tried for eyes with glow jigs. One on a bobber for the fiance about 2-3' off the bottom. She had two bites, one looked pretty nice, but lost them before she got them up. I was jigging anywhere from on the bottom to about 7'. Had one REAL nice eye spit the hook at right at the top of the hole, hit the floor of the shack, then right down again. So the eyes did bight a little, but I think they were picky. Lots of little nibbles. That could have been crappies. The guys next to us were hitten em pretty good as we left about 7 pm, but they weren't huge by any means.

Yes...I just got back from buffalo tonight too (1/1/08). I went out of the South access on 12, and fished a spot that gave me some eyes on Sunday, as I got down in the water, about 5:30 (there, the bite seemed to start later), I got one lil 12" eye, and that was it for the eyes. My buddy had a shiner on glow hook, keeping it dancing... not a bite. Well, as we were reading fish the entire time, I had finaly got a crappie around 6. So switched to the wax worms at about 6. Crappies there on out. Had my limit of nice size, 10-11 inchers by 8 (about 17 crappies in all landed) and a few lost to poor hooking by the lacadaisical me, and We just keept reading 'em so we kept catching 'em. They sure did seem to be more aggressive tonight than the last few nights. Strange with it being below zero out there. "Maybe the pressure stabalized" I said. Who knows, but it was enough to have a blast, and they were not too finiky either. Hard hits on bigger jigs, even a few crappies on the RED FROSTEE w/Minnow head. Good time. I see how they're biting around the lake, now I am just wondering if there are any areas that are holding bigger size. Don't expect anyone on here to reveal that info though, that might open a flood gate. I know how that is. Good luck to all, my new year started off great!

Fishsystem

You need to put back on the first 2" of your measuring tape!

10-11" crappies? Joking!!

was thinking of heading out tommorrow night or saturday for sure, are people driving yet and how much ice? thanks

There are trucks all over the lake. Second hand information is telling me most of the lake is at 12" and some spots having as much as 14 or 15. Lots of people out there. Those who are getting away from the crowds are doing better.

alright thanks k dawg for the quick info, hoping to haul the wheel house out there for the weekend, is there any pike action out there during the day on tip ups? thanks again

I tried but no luck. There was 16 inches where I was, just south of the hole.