Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TMauer14

Oakdale,Maplewood,North St.Paul,St.Paul area Northerns.

10 posts in this topic

Does anybody know any lakes in this area for Northerns?

Mud lake across from tanners there not huge but you can catch a lot.

Where do you usually go on the lake. And Where exactly is it.

Thanks

Tmauer,

I fish there alot with the kids because of the fast action on early ice. Right now there are two permanent shelters out. The East shelter sits near a channel formed by the island (bough) you will see in the lake. The channel heads mostly north to northwest from the island and is about 12 to 14 feet deep I like to set up on both sides and in the channel. The lake is shallow with nice green weeds about 3-6 feet under the ice. Easy to see your bait for a good setup. At times with my two youngest I won't even put out 6 tip ups and will stay with four because all can be going off at the same time if you want to spend $8.00 for a dozen of small shiners now that they cannot import the big shiners from Arkansas anymore. The bite will be slower with fatheads, but much more economical. The lake will slow down middle of January if it follows the yearly pattern. Easy access from a boat launch you can reach off of Century/hwy 120. Good luck and remember to let the big ones go and keep the small ones to restore the lake back to the way it was a few years back.

Bryan

I hope folks aren't keeping a lot of fish out of this small lake. We were out Saturday early & there were 15 people on the ice (& still streaming in) when we left around 11:30. It looked like a tip-up testing zone out there! Yeesh!

What Lake?

Seriously, you can literally pick ANY lake in those cities you mentioned and catch northerns.. I kid you not... Sounds like a bold statement, but it is the truth...

I know that. I just want a lake with some action...Dont we all haha

I'd suggest sucking it up like the rest of us. If you're going for tip-ups then just sit yourself down off a beach somewhere. I suspect you'll get the fish, and e.coli too. good luck.

TMauer,

Went to Demontreville last night. Literally walked out of the launch about 200 yards for just a quick 90 minutes as it was so nice and caught two northerns on tip ups had three no-fish flags, and the kids kept busy catching small panfish on waxies. Great time, but again I rarely will keep any metro fish so I am not looking for monsters. Instead trying to keep my kids "hooked" into fishing during the cold months.