• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Williamson?

Kyle Sandberg

What do you guys think of him and his ablitlity to play his postion. Sometimes it looks like he's afraid to get hit and alligator arms' his catches.

What do you think the Vikes should do?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott K

• VMS

• IFallsRon

• tisosy11

There isnt much the Vikes can do, they had him on inactive before Rice got hurt. They need to fill a spot, I think they use him to warm the bench as much as possible! Only, use him when the others are to tired and cant run their routes anymore. Then just put him out there when they are going to run the ball, he might be able to block some.

Can you tell, I am one of his biggest fans! grin.gif

What is the status on Rice? It is kind of strange that the Vikes haven't lost a game since Williamson has been inactivated.

I'm pretty sure that Williamson is a free agent after this year and the Vikes should release him. He's a #4 WR in my opinion. Throw him in a few plays a game and let him run the go pattern, but he hasn't impressed anyone again this year.

Williamson looked pretty good last night. Maybe he spent some time practicing catch the last few weeks.

Although he had a decent game on Sunday, he still seems like he doesn't know what he is doing. John Madden said it a couple of times, he doesn't know where he is on the field. Madden said that he runs his routes too close to the sideline so the QB can't make the a throw that can stay in bounds. Also that play that he was flagged for illegal touching when he stepped out of bounds and came back in and made the catch, there is no excuse for that. He wasn't forced out he just ran too close to the sidelines and stepped out of bounds, an NFL receiver should not make that mistake.

An NFL QB should also not throw the ball 6 feet out of bounds. Regardless in/outbounds, the ball is already released no matter where the reciever is. A QB cant tell if that wr is 3 feet or 6 feet from the line from his angle.

Maybe he has eye problems for real. The way the ball bounces off him is remakable. The sad part is having him in the game means TJ can use him as an option if TJ can sort through the options. Oh well Shancoe will be better next year when he knows the system.

Willaimson will not be back next year...too much money wasted for a player that cannot run routes well, and when he gets separation, cannot catch easy balls. Even mediocre players can catch passes like the one he totally missed today in wide open territory. The kid doesn't use his hands to catch...he wants to do it with his body...BOUNCE...right off the chest protection of the shoulder pads.

I question how this kid ever made it in college...

Steve

I'll miss him. Who will I catch the @#$% ball at when he is gone. I already have talked to him a couple of times today. confused.gifgrin.gif

"Talked to him?" Man...I basically lost it for both drops..

I'd put in a 3rd stringer instead of him..

Steve

He's about as useful as a poopy flavor lolly pop.

Wide open catch, misses it. He's got the hands of a QB.

Get rid of him.

HA

HA

HA

I'm glad I'm a Broncos fan. The talent he desplayed today was that of a highschool sophmore!

obviously wasted money...Vikes look really smart giving Moss away and drafting him...and the LB they got from Oakland(napolean smith?..cant remember his name) never amounted to anything...another brilliant move....not as bad as the Herschel Walker deal...but look at Moss this year...

as Johnny Orr(former Iowa State Basketball Coach) would say...do you have hooves? or hands? catch the f***ing ball!

williamson has some serious hooves for hands...

Hooves???? I could have done better with hooves. I think he had both of them tied behind his back. Pretty tough to catch a ball with your chest.

And ripping into the guy is clearly the way we can make ourselves feel better about the loss/season? I agree, he can't catch the football like you need to in the NFL, so I say goodbye as well. But honestly, I am not mad at the guy, I just feel bad for him. Ever since he got into the league, he has seemed timid, shy, and has expressed that he never would have left college early (junior) for the NFL if it wasn't for the money that his family needed (his grandmother was sick, and her death was well-publicized this year).

A side note about the trade comments comparing Moss to the #7 pick and Napoleon Harris...I still can't believe people here in MN think that Moss would have amounted to anything like what he is doing in NE if he had stayed here. Wake up. Moss was as done with us as we were with him. He wanted out, and then went on to squander 2 years in Oakland. I loved the "good ol' days" with Moss as much as the next guy, but they were gone, never to return here. We needed a MLB (remember how EJ Henderson didn't have it together yet and we had Greg Biekert on the tail end of his career?) Napo is a solid LB in this league, and did quite well for Kansas City this past year, he wasn't a waste in the trade, and we could have had Shawne Merriman at the #7 pick, instead we took Williamson, Tice wanted Merriman, management and McCombs said to take Williamson, a clear reach.

All this to say...let's not rip the guy apart, that's not the answer, let him leave with class. We do need to go find a WR somewhere though, if we had someone else to pair with Wade and Rice, we might be getting somewhere...

I will be the first to admit, that I have done my share of "rippin" on Williamson, and will be glad to see him going away from the Vikes...

One does have to feel bad for him, I agree...he's struggled ever since being here, and without any good "player/mentor" there is not much to be learned either...

Wally...Very well said...Thank you..

Steve

Wallygator,

lighten up a little...some people dont have a sense of humor. I was making a joke about the guy. I realize Moss was done with the Vikes and they did what they had too...but how good would they be right now with him on the field? do you think we would see 8 guys in the box all the time? You could blame the Moss debacle on lack of leadership and good coaching also....Moss said along time ago the thing that mattered most to him was a ring...I dont blame him for wanting out of Minnesota. My point was, its pretty sad they let go arguably one of the best receivers ever to play the game, and now having Williamson to show for it? pretty sad. Alot of people said Moss was washed up...looks to me like he can still play...

until the Vikings get an owner who is truly committed to winning a Super Bowl(and gets the right people in place to accomplish it), we will continue to be frustrated year in year out. McCombs talked the talk when he owned them...saw how that turned out...Wilf talks a good game, but I am very skeptical about him also...time will tell....

Isnt it great to be a Vikes fan?

It IS a good time to be a vikes fan. You know why? Those who continue to be a vikes fan SUPPORT the team through good times and bad....through the ups and downs, through all of the political CRAP that goes on administratively above the game itself. We continue to support the staff and what they are trying to do, and, although we may question some play calling here and there, we realize there is much more to it than we see on TV.

You hear many green bay fans moan and groan, and continue to complain about things when they were quite weak years ago?

We should get one thing straight...we can keep saying that moss was a great loss to the team. And...to an extent he was. He was an extremely strong threat that forced teams to double-team him....that meant there was a weakness somewhere else in the defense to exploit. Moss was also all about himself...there was no TEAM involved with moss. Then, throw in Daunte Culpepper who was a running threat, but didn't perform anywhere near as well when moss was fully covered..and you saw what happened there too..

Troy williamson was a product of McCombs...not wilf, not Childress....he is under contract through this year and is now free agent. This puts minnesota in a decent position to potentially get a decent receiver in place of williamson either through free agency or draft...

So...you can sit and complain about how bad this season was, or you can look at it as an improvement over last season, a win is a win, no matter how ugly and in the end, wins are what count to go further in the season.

We were close...but once the redskins won (going against the second and probably third string players for Dallas) our season was done. I am sure that was on their radar too..

So...we are now to a point that the focus is on next year's team....I say let us all quick bickering and support our team and hope that we get some players in key positions to give us some other weapons on the field.

I'd like to see a veteran QB of some sort with the ability to teach, yet do well on the field, a deep passing threat, and another D-back with some experience to help out in Nickel and Dime situations.

Time to rebuild guys...

Steve

VMS,

it is good to be a Vikes fan...I was being sarcastic. I am 43, and have been a fan since I can remember. Lived in northern Missouri when the Vikes lost to the Steelers in the Super Bowl 16-6...took alot of bs from Chiefs fans...

Just because people question poor decision making does not make them a fair weather fan... I am anything but that. 35+ years I have been a fan and have never jumped ship...and that could be said for most Vikings fans. Paid $200 per ticket and drove 4.5 hours to watch the 1998 NFC championship game...really long drive home that night. We usually go to a game or 2 each year, would go to more if I could...too busy with the kids activities...

your are right about williamson, I wasnt trying to put that on wilf or Childress...I just have my doubts about Childress being the guy to get what all of us devoted Vikes fans want...the Super Bowl win...

I hope I am wrong about Childress...time will tell.

The vikes do have a good core group to build on, including Jackson...he obviously has the athletic ability...and we need to remember there is a learning curve, especially at QB...all the great ones went through it...hopefully Jackson continues to progress....

pass rush(or lack thereof) is still a concern...really low sack totals considering how much teams threw the ball against them this year....where is Chris Doleman? could we somehow clone him? Maybe James will get healthy next year and show some promise...Udeze just cant seem to get it done...

I didnt think this season was bad...could have been better though...hopefully something to build on

Happy New Year Vikes Fans!

I think it is a great time to be a Vikes fan anytime!!! Do I grump about them? You I bet I do! I feel that is my right as a fan. { As long as I have my statements backed with what I hope is valid logic.} I have been a Vikes fan since 1961. { I was 15.} I have been up and down with them the greater portion of my life. GO VIKES!!! Oh yeah, I forgot, they are going home. Hopefully, TW can turn his game around with a change of climate.

I'm right there with you on that one. I will be a Viking fan until I die. Or until my tattoo fades away. Just kidding. Been there for them since the early 70's and will always be there through thick and thin. The Vikes did have a lot of good things happen this year. Their defense is no longer last in the league. The offence set a record for most yardage by a running back. One thing I think they need to do is get someone that can call the plays for the offense. It is pretty sad when the commentators can tell you week to week what they are doing wrong and the coaches just ignor them. I heard two ex QB talk about eight men in the box and how they would come out of retirement to have that to throw against. Jackson will be a desent QB they just need him to use his abilities. He is a running QB not a three step drop. He needs more time and I think he will be OK. Williamson your out of here. How you turned pro is beyond my knowledge. Hope you did well in college because you will need it. Moss way to go!!!! You are number one in my book. By the way someone mad a comment on Moss being no good in MN. I beg to differ but the year they scored all them points to hold the record for most points in a season Moss was there and had just a few of them. Hats off to you Randy. I know I sure miss you as well as many Viking fans do. There was some trouble but hey I was a young punk once too.

Vikings fan??? I'll always be a Vikings fan.

My sister can catch a ball better than Williamson.

TW signed a 7 year $30 million(?) contract according to the papers. Vikes are on the hook for a portion of it because of guaranteed monies. Salary is under a million for next season. I say buy him out and good riddance. I think he knows his days are numbered.

the worst thing that ever happened to williamson was that he was drafted 7th overall. and on top of that it was the draft pick we got from trading away moss. there was no way he should have been drafted at that spot. expectations were too high for a guy that just wasnt that great of a receiver.

I felt bad for him also, as some of the previous posts have mentioned. He seems like he's a good kid who's worked hard at getting better but for whatever the reason just couldn't get it done when it counted. Vikes need to release him and get on with it. He will "catch" on with another team and maybe the expectations won't be as great and he can perform good enough to stay in the league a few more years.